The latest on slugger Josh Hamilton, with the most recent updates on top…
- Hamilton is at the Winter Meetings, report Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports, and Mariners officials met with him Sunday. They go on to write that other teams have met with Hamilton, but the Rangers are "currently working the hardest to sign him." Rangers GM Jon Daniels told reporters today that so far he has no plans to speak with Hamilton or his agent this week at the Meetings. The Brewers are on the periphery for Hamilton, note Rosenthal and Morosi.
- The Red Sox are among four or five teams interested in Hamilton only on a short-term contract, reports WEEI's Rob Bradford.
- The chances of the Red Sox signing Hamilton are not high, a source tells ESPN's Jayson Stark(Twitter link).
- The Rangers currently have no plans to speak with Hamilton or his agent, GM Jon Daniels told reporters today.
- While the Phillies have been mentioned as a possible suitor for Hamilton, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark says the best word to describe their interest is "wary" (Twitter link)
- A source tells Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com not to rule out the Red Sox on Hamilton, pointing out that they have the money to make it happen (Twitter link). Along the same lines, Jim Bowden of ESPN and SiriusXM tweets that the Yankees should be considered a realistic landing spot for Hamilton as well, though I'm not sure they have quite as much financial flexibilty
- The Rangers have been the most aggressive team so far on the Hamilton front, a source tells Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter links)
- The Brewers are "on the periphery" for Hamilton, Rosenthal adds in the same tweet.