On this date in 2002, Scott Rolen became the highest paid player in Phillies history. The third baseman signed a one-year contract worth $8.6MM, avoiding his final season of arbitration-eligibility. Rolen was traded to the Cardinals at midseason, and his then-record salary has since been eclipsed numerous times. Here's the latest from around the web…
- Federal Baseball wrote about the impact of Rafael Soriano on the Nationals' bullpen.
- NASORB doesn't think the Mike Morse trade makes sense for the Mariners.
- Athletics Nation broke down the John Jaso pickup for the Athletics.
- A's Farm says getting Jaso was a win-now move for the Athletics.
- Yanks Go Yard wonders if Justin Upton would be worth the price for the Yankees.
- River Ave. Blues wrote about the conflict between Yankees' team policies.
- Pinstripe Pundits listed some right-handed hitting options for the Yankees.
- Rising Apple thinks Brian Wilson would be a worthy gamble for the Mets.
- Wahoo's on First wonders if the Cardinals matchup for an Asdrubal Cabrera trade.
- Blue Jays Plus looked at a possible extension for Aaron Hill.
- Lasorda's Lair believes Scott Hairston is a good fit for the Dodgers.
- A Giant Perspective wants the Giants to target Jonathan Sanchez and Jair Jurrjens.
Zach Links will be taking over the Baseball Blogs Weigh In feature going forward, and you can reach him here. Only one email per week, please.