- Dodgers Sign Mike Adams
- Blue Jays Sign Dayan Viciedo
- Michael Saunders To Miss 5-6 Weeks After Knee Surgery
- Blue Jays, Athletics Talking With Dayan Viciedo
- Doug Melvin On Papelbon Trade Talks, K-Rod Signing
- Brewers To Re-Sign Francisco Rodriguez
- Juan Pierre Officially Retires
- Aramis Ramirez Likely To Retire After 2015 Season
- Blue Jays Sign Johan Santana To Minors Deal
- Brady Aiken Enrolls At IMG Academy
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Quick Hits: Clark, Olivera, Guerrier, Moncada
- Dodgers Sign Mike Adams
- AL East Notes: Miller, Craig, Victorino
- Blue Jays Sign Dayan Viciedo
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: D’Backs, Blue Jays, Nats
- Quick Hits: Cuba, Tomas, McCutchen
- East Notes: Hart, Hardy, Belisario
- Glenn Flesig On Tommy John Incidence
- Phillies Notes: Rollins, Herrera, Oliver, Aumont
- Scherzer On Signing With The Nationals
- AL Notes: Rodon, Hamilton, Zito
- Quick Hits: Japanese Signees, Phillies, McCutchen
- Minor Moves: Jesus Pirela
- Central Notes: Sale, Cubs, Floyd
- AL East Notes: Moncada, Beckham, Duquette
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Buck Coats Rumors
Let's take a look at today's notable minor league deals, with the most recent updates at the top:
- The Yankees signed Doug Bernier, Buddy Carlyle, Neal Cotts and Gustavo Molina to minor league deals, the team announced. The club officially announced its deals with Andy Sisco and outfielder-turned-pitcher Brian Anderson.
- The Pirates have welcomed back Donald Veal just two weeks after non-tendering him, Eddy tweets. Veal underwent Tommy John surgery earlier this year.
- The Rays picked up right-handed reliever Jonah Bayliss, according to Matt Eddy of Baseball America (via Twitter). Bayliss turned in a 3.58 ERA with 8.4 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9 for Houston's Triple-A club last season.
- The Athletics signed right-handed reliever Vinnie Chulk, tweets Eddy. Chulk appeared in 28 games for Pittsburgh's Triple-A affiliate in 2010 and spent the other half of the year with the Hiroshima Carp. His numbers overseas left much to be desired but the righty carries more than 250 games of big league experience.
- First baseman Andy Tracy has hooked on with the Diamondbacks, tweets Baseball America's Matt Eddy. The left-handed hitter, who turned 37-years-old on Saturday, has spent the last three years with the Phillies' Triple-A affiliate. In 2010 he hit .275/.373/.492, numbers that are slightly better than his career averages.
- The Nationals signed outfielder Jonathan Van Every, according to Eddy (via Twitter). The 31-year-old boasts a career .471 slugging percentage in Triple-A and can play all three outfield positions. Van Every played in 39 games for Boston's varsity squad across the last three years.
- Washington picked up another versatile, left-handed hitting outfielder in Buck Coats, Eddy tweets. Coats, who spent the first seven years of his career with the Cubs, has a lifetime slash line of .294/.352/.407 at the Triple-A level.
- The Cubs invited first baseman Bryan LaHair and outfielder Brad Snyder to Spring Training, according to MLB.com's Carrie Muskat (on Twitter).
Coats, 28 in June, was hitting .315/.377/.389 in 62 plate appearances for Kansas City's Triple-A affiliate, playing left field exclusively. He last played in the majors with the Blue Jays in 2008, and is a .193/.242/.333 career hitter in 62 big league plate appearances. Coats has played all three outfield spots extensively throughout out his career, and even dabbled with the infield a few years ago.
The Kansas City Royals have signed a pair of players, pitcher Josh Rupe and outfielder Buck Coats, to minor league contracts, according to a press release.
Rupe, 27, pitched four times out of the bullpen for the Texas Rangers last season, posting a 15.43 ERA and allowing 17 baserunners in just 4.2 IP. The right-hander was a little more successful for the Rangers in 2008, recording a 5.14 ERA in 89.1 IP of mostly mop-up duty.
Coats spent all of 2009 with Las Vegas, the Blue Jays' Triple-A affiliate, where he hit .302/.361/.416. In 62 career big-league plate appearances, the 27-year-old has posted a .193/.242/.333 line.
Rounding up some of the day’s random rumors and tidbits…
- Jose Guillen might get a light suspension for his exploits.
- There was a report that the Brewers were close to obtaining Joe Crede, but it was published last night.
- The BBWAA approved a new resolution for 2013. Any player with a contract provision linked to a major award of theirs will not be considered for that award. Makes sense – to repeat Curt Schilling’s situation. Curt Schilling could get a million bucks by netting one Cy Young vote in 2008. The BBWAA would rather preserve its right to have members make off-the-wall votes on occasion without bribery being accused.
- The Reds traded Buck Coats to the Jays. They also released Jorge Cantu. They now have an open spot on the 40-man roster.
- Could the Rays re-acquire Josh Hamilton? There’s speculation on the topic in Nashville.
- Buster Olney says Aaron Boone interests the Giants, Nationals, and Brewers.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Aaron Boone | Boston Red Sox | Buck Coats | Chicago White Sox | Cincinnati Reds | Curt Schilling | Joe Crede | Jorge Cantu | Jose Guillen | Josh Hamilton | Kansas City Royals | Milwaukee Brewers | San Francisco Giants | Tampa Bay Rays | Toronto Blue Jays | Washington Nationals