- Out Of Options 2014
- 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2014 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- Non-Tender Candidates
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014
- Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- NL Notes: Hellweg, Cuddyer, Cubs, Espinosa
- Padres In Active Trade Talks Involving Nick Hundley
- Rangers Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment
- AL Notes: Amador, Lester, Gonzalez
- Astros Outright Lucas Harrell
- Padres Acquire Tyler Greene From Braves
- Tommy John Surgery Likely For Ivan Nova
- Orioles To Designate Steve Pearce For Assignment
- Blue Jays Claim Darin Mastroianni, Designate Kenny Wilson
- MLBTR Chat Transcript
- NL Central Links: Maldonado, Volquez, Walker, Cubs
- Free Agent Notes: Hanrahan, Carbonell, Penny, Braddock
- Yankees Outright Cesar Cabral
- Ryan Roberts Accepts Outright Assignment
- Ryan Rowland-Smith Elects Free Agency
MLBTR Mailing List
- How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB
- Scouting Masahiro Tanaka
- Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present
- Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals
- Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA
- Future Salary Obligations In Context
- Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings
- Why I Chose My Agency Series
- Arbitration Breakdown
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Glendon Rusch Rumors
The Winter Meetings are over and I have a nice case of carpal tunnel. Let’s round up some odds and ends anyway, I can always type with my toes.
- In a chat today, Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus said the only team besides the A’s with a modicum of interest in Barry Bonds is the Cardinals (a week ago).
- Couple of Phils notes per Scott Lauber. Glendon Rusch asked for a big league deal and a rotation spot, neither of which the Phils are keen on. Also that Tadahito Iguchi waiver? No chance.
- Joel Sherman noted today that the Twins and Yankees briefly discussed expanding the Johan Santana talks to include Joe Nathan. I heard this one at the beginning of the Meetings but I was skeptical. I wonder if including Nathan ever came up with the Red Sox? Maybe that would compel them to put both Ellsbury and Lester in the deal.
UPDATE, 12-6-07 at 12:20am: Troy Renck says that if the Rox do acquire a second baseman, Dan O’Dowd is ready to trade both Clint Barmes and Jamey Carroll. The Cardinals, Marlins, and Indians would be suitors for those two.
FROM 12-5-07 at 10:09pm:
MLB.com’s Thomas Harding checks in with a slew of new Rockies rumors.
- The Rockies have their eye on Tadahito Iguchi and could offer him a two-year deal. However, Iguchi is craving a contract similar to Kaz Matsui’s three-year, $16.5MM pact. Should one bad contract beget another one?
- Mark Grudzielanek can be had, but the Rox aren’t interested.
- The Rockies will take a gander at the suddenly popular Glendon Rusch.
- The Rox will pass on Kazuo Fukumori – they’re worried about his elbow.
Glendon Rusch is attempting a comeback, and the Reds, Astros, and Cardinals are interested. Rusch played under the Reds’ Dusty Baker in Chicago.
This morning Tom Krasovic said the Padres were close to terms with Rusch, so I guess we’ll see. The Royals are another club that has been linked to him.
UPDATE, 12-4-07 at 11:19pm: Ah, the truth comes out. Sammy Sosa‘s people approached the Royals, but they weren’t interested.
FROM 12-4-07 at 3:17pm:
ESPN has a huge team at the Meetings; here are some tidbits that haven’t appeared elsewhere on MLBTR.
- Enrique Rojas says the Royals have interest in Sammy Sosa. Could that indicate a Mark Teahen trade is in the works also? Teahen is expected to move to first base to accomodate Jose Guillen, which would push Billy Butler to DH. But Sammy can only DH.
- Buster Olney says the Rangers and Padres are in on Mark Prior.
- The Padres also like lefties Glendon Rusch and Shawn Estes, and may sign both after the Rule 5 as a means of adding starting depth.
- Jayson Stark says the Mariners made an offer to Hiroki Kuroda in the range of four years, $45MM.
- Jerry Crasnick says Anthony Reyes is generating a lot of interest. The Cards, by the way, are open to trading Rick Ankiel, Chris Duncan, or Jim Edmonds.
- The Rockies have gotten in touch with Marcus Giles‘ agent.
- The Astros aren’t interested in Jon Lieber, despite previous reports. They liked Matt Clement a bit among the injury guys but are over him now.
- Ryan Howard‘s agent and the Phillies will sit down soon to talk about a long-term deal.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Anthony Reyes | Chris Duncan | Colorado Rockies | Glendon Rusch | Hiroki Kuroda | Houston Astros | Jim Edmonds | Jon Lieber | Kansas City Royals | Marcus Giles | Mark Prior | Matt Clement | Philadelphia Phillies | Rick Ankiel | Ryan Howard | Sammy Sosa | San Diego Padres | Seattle Mariners | Shawn Estes | St. Louis Cardinals | Texas Rangers
Some good info surfacing regarding the Royals, as usual courtesy of the KC Star’s Bob Dutton.
- While Joakim Soria will remain in the pen, the Royals want to add more relief help. They could re-sign David Riske, and even plan to contact Francisco Cordero‘s agent (Bean Stringfellow). Bringing back Octavio Dotel is also being considered, though Soria would remain the closer.
- Ron Mahay is on the radar. It’s thought that he’ll require something close to a three-year, $12MM deal as one of the better southpaw relievers out there. Riske wants a deal like that too. Dayton, just take the draft pick.
- I’ve yet to mention here Dayton Moore’s quotes. Basically, steroid allegations won’t affect the team’s pursuit of any player, meaning they still like Jose Guillen. It’s not surprising to see GMs moving in this direction.
- Japan presents options such as Hitoki Iwase, Kazuo Fukumori, and Yashuhiko Yabuta. New manager Trey Hillman observed Iwase up close this year.
- What about more starting pitching? The Royals like Carlos Silva, Hiroki Kuroda, Kris Benson, Matt Clement, and Jason Jennings. Something useful could come out of that.
- By the way, the Royals saw Glendon Rusch work out recently. The swingman came up as a Royal before being traded to the Mets in ’99.
Southpaw Glendon Rusch missed the 2007 season because of a blood clot in his lung. He’s one of the good guys in baseball, and we’re rooting for him here at MLBTR.
According to his agency, Rusch is ready to go and has declared free agency. The 33 year-old will throw a bullpen session for teams on Friday. He’s been throwing for a couple of months now. Rusch has never had an arm problem, and he’s lost weight recently. He’s been throwing 86-88 with good command and should be considered for open fifth starter gigs. At worst, he makes a good swingman. I’m guessing he’d sign for $1MM with maybe another million or two in incentives.