Trade Rumors Apps
- Dodgers Acquire Joel Peralta
- Athletics Sign Billy Butler
- White Sox Sign Zach Duke
- Marlins Sign Giancarlo Stanton To 13-Year, $325MM Extension
- Blue Jays Sign Russell Martin
- Braves, Cardinals Trade Jason Heyward For Shelby Miller
- Tigers Exercise Alex Avila's Option
- Diamondbacks Acquire Jeremy Hellickson
- Pirates Sign A.J. Burnett
- Rangers Extend Jon Daniels, Thad Levine
- Jays, Tigers Swap Gose For Travis
- Pirates Acquire Francisco Cervelli For Justin Wilson
- Tigers Re-Sign Victor Martinez
- 2014-15 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- Non-Tender Candidates
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Free Agent Notes: Robertson, Lester, Hunter, Scherzer
- Rays Managerial Finalists Are Wakamatsu, Cash, Ibanez
- Minor Moves: Romak, Orioles, Billings, Avery
- Andrew Miller Has Multiple Three-Year Offers
- Pablo Sandoval Rumors: Friday
- MLB Trade Rumors Podcast: Episode 7
- NL West Notes: Preller, Montero, D’Backs, Anderson, Giants
- Reds Listening On Jay Bruce; Padres Have Shown Interest
- NL East Links: Lester, Stanton, Niese, Mets
- Braves Shopping Justin Upton; Asking Price Higher Than Heyward
- Quick Hits: Saberhagen, Kubel, Transactions, Front Offices
- Pirates To Sign Radhames Liz To Major League Deal
- Padres, Braves Emerging As Yasmany Tomas Favorites
- Mitch Moreland, Michael Saunders Change Agencies
- Dodgers Acquire Joel Peralta
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
John Maine Rumors
Some links on another slow Sunday afternoon…
- Tyler Kepner from the New York Times takes a look back at the trade that sent Damaso Marte and Xavier Nady from the Pirates to the Yankees. Kepner says that Ross Ohlendorf alone is making the trade "look like a steal."
- MLB.com's Bill Ladson answers some questions about the Nationals offseason and how the club can improve in his latest MLB.com Inbox. Ladson answers questions about Livan Hernandez's future, Justin Maxwell's value, and if the Nats should look at trading for Dan Uggla.
- John Maine wants to pitch again in 2009 and end his season on a high note. When asked about the possibility of the Mets not offering him a contract for the 2010 season, Maine said he's not worrying about it; he wants to be in New York, but it's out of his control.
According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Mets avoided arbitration with John Maine by signing him at the midpoint for $2.6MM for ’09 (plus another $25K based on innings pitched). Maine had submitted $3MM, while the Mets had countered at $2.2MM.
Buster Olney’s latest offering is packed full of links:
- and please, no el cheapo deals for rehabbing pitchers, medically risky pitchers, broken-down pitchers."
- The Pirates have it a little bit tougher. According to pitching coach Jeff Andrews, it consists of Paul Maholm and "a blank sheet." Here’s one vote for adding Ian Snell, "on the verge of becoming the best right-handed pitcher to come from Delaware since World War I," according to DelwareBaseball.com, who sponsors his Baseball Reference page.
- According to GM Jim Bowden, the Nationals will explore ways to upgrade their defense for 2009, including the possibility of moving Lastings Milledge from center field back to a corner spot. Left fielder Elijah Dukes could move to center.
- Despite going through a difficult divorce, Padres’ owner John Moores is not planning on selling the team—which he bought because of his soon-to-be ex.
- The Mets seem to be rushing John Maine back from the DL in an attempt to keep their playoff hopes alive.
- Dave Krieger is amazed that the Rockies aren’t doing anything to try and keep free-agent closer Brian Fuentes.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Adam Wainwright | Brian Fuentes | Chris Carpenter | Colorado Rockies | Elijah Dukes | Ian Snell | Jim Bowden | Joel Pineiro | John Maine | Lastings Milledge | New York Mets | Paul Maholm | Pittsburgh Pirates | San Diego Padres | St. Louis Cardinals | Todd Wellemeyer | Washington Nationals
Ken Rosenthal has a lot to offer in his latest Full Count video:
- The Mets will prefer to pickup Carlos Delgado‘s $12MM option rather than buy him out for $4MM. That’s a guarantee for a guy who should finish the year around 35-100 despite not contributing for the first two months.
- According to sources, Manny Ramirez is unlikely to go the Mets. They will more likely focus their spending on pitching. John Maine has a bone spur in his right shoulder. Pedro Martinez and Oliver Perez are free agents. The Mets will need to go after starting pitching.
- If the Mets go after Francisco Rodriguez, would they dangle Billy Wagner on the trade market in his contract year?
- If the Astros sign Ben Sheets and Randy Wolf, they’d become immediate contenders, if not division favorites.
- To recoup the loss of Ben Sheets and C.C. Sabathia, the Brewers might want to trade J.J. Hardy or even Prince Fielder for a pitcher to join Yovani Gallardo, Manny Parra, and Dave Bush. I can’t see them trading Fielder and a lot will be determined by how they fare in the playoffs.
- Casey Blake will be in high demand this offseason. As a third baseman, his only real competition is the fragile Joe Crede. Blake can play 1B, 3B, RF and LF. He’s a good fit for the Dodgers to re-sign but, according to Rosenthal, he may want to go closer to his Iowa home.
Time to check in with Dan Graziano of the Newark Star-Ledger.
- Graziano calls Adam Dunn "the man without a rumor." Even with his flaws this one is hard to figure out. [UPDATE: SI.com's Jon Heyman is finally hearing a couple of teams are in on Dunn.]
- John Maine‘s rotator cuff strain has the Mets looking at pitching. Graziano suggests names like Livan Hernandez, Paul Byrd, and Jarrod Washburn.
- The Mets have talked to the Tigers about Scott Schoeneweis. They’d have to replace him, maybe with Arthur Rhodes or Eddie Guardado.
- The Mariners will listen on J.J. Putz, but he won’t come cheap. The Cardinals and Red Sox have interest. Putz is signed through ’09 with an option for ’10.
- The Yankees and Marlins have asked about catcher Gerald Laird, while many teams like Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
- The Braves are willing to trade Will Ohman and Mark Kotsay.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Adam Dunn | Arthur Rhodes | Atlanta Braves | Boston Red Sox | Cincinnati Reds | Cleveland Indians | Detroit Tigers | Gerald Laird | J.J. Putz | Jarrod Saltalamacchia | Jarrod Washburn | John Maine | Livan Hernandez | Mark Kotsay | Miami Marlins | Minnesota Twins | New York Mets | New York Yankees | Paul Byrd | Scott Schoeneweis | Seattle Mariners | St. Louis Cardinals | Texas Rangers | Will Ohman
Let’s round up some odds and ends for a rumor-packed day.
- The Reds had a scout at a recent Rangers-A’s game; they may have been eyeing a Texas catcher.
- Billy Beane is still fielding offers for Huston Street; Jon Heyman mentions the same teams we’ve heard in the past.
- Ed Wade told Miguel Tejada he’s staying put.
- Gregg Zaun would welcome a trade. GM J.P. Ricciardi responded by saying "someone has to want you." The Marlins could make sense; their catcher hunt may hinge on Matt Treanor‘s decision whether to have surgery.
- John Maine has a mild rotator cuff strain. I wonder if this will affect the chances of long-term extension talks with Maine. Anyway, it’d make sense to bring in some rotation insurance.
- Geoff Baker says the Brewers, Marlins, and Tigers are eyeing Eddie Guardado.
- Hank Blalock is on the DL and off the trade market.
- Ken Davidoff believes the Mets are scouting George Sherrill.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Baltimore Orioles | Cincinnati Reds | Detroit Tigers | Eddie Guardado | George Sherrill | Gregg Zaun | Hank Blalock | Houston Astros | Huston Street | John Maine | Miami Marlins | Miguel Tejada | Milwaukee Brewers | New York Mets | Oakland Athletics | Texas Rangers | Toronto Blue Jays
According to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, preliminary extension talks have begun with Mets starter John Maine. Maine (along with B.J. Upton and Hanley Ramirez) was gracious about his recent renewal. Maine is eligible for arbitration after this season.
As we’ve been saying, the going rate for a good young pitcher’s three arb years is $13-14MM, not necessarily all guaranteed. A club option worth around $9MM for the 2012 season (Maine’s first year of free agent eligibility) would be about standard.
Another random collection of rumorage…
- The Braves have "many millions more" to spend on players this winter. One emailer suggested that maybe the Braves will offer arbitration to Andruw Jones and he’ll accept.
- Corey Patterson and the Nationals have mutual interest. Baseball Prospectus’ Joe Sheehan considers him a possible bargain, noting that he is only 28.
- We figured the Padres and Matt Clement had mutual interest. Now it’s official. Clement wants a one-year deal with incentives.
- Tracy Ringolsby confirms that Yorvit Torrealba wants a three-year deal. He says the Rockies are at two years, $7MM, the Marlins are in the same range, and the Mets are at two years, $9MM. UPDATE: The Denver Post says Torrealba will have a decision Thursday.
- Interesting Miguel Cabrera stuff from the L.A. Times. Howie Kendrick is not considered untouchable, but the Marlins might have to include Dan Uggla. Basically if the Marlins are to get four players back, they’ll have to add Uggla or Dontrelle Willis to the deal.
- Our friends at Gotham Baseball say if the Mets were to acquire Dan Haren, the package would start with Billy Beane favorite John Maine. Mark Healey figures Lastings Milledge and Aaron Heilman would have to go also.
- Ken Rosenthal thinks a one-year, $8MM offer from Atlanta would be enough to secure Tom Glavine.
- The D’Backs’ main trading chip is outfielder Carlos Gonzalez. It appears that the team explored what they could get for Conor Jackson and decided to keep him.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Arizona Diamondbacks | Atlanta Braves | Carlos Gonzalez | Colorado Rockies | Conor Jackson | Corey Patterson | Dan Haren | Dan Uggla | Dontrelle Willis | Howie Kendrick | John Maine | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Matt Clement | Miami Marlins | Miguel Cabrera | New York Mets | Oakland Athletics | San Diego Padres | Tom Glavine | Washington Nationals | Yorvit Torrealba