Weekly email list
- Orioles Agree To Deal With Ariel Miranda
- Right-Hander Norge Ruiz Leaves Cuba, Will Seek Deal With MLB Club
- Smyly Will Not Have Surgery, Is Confident He Can Pitch In 2015
- Hyun-jin Ryu Undergoes Season-Ending Shoulder Surgery
- 2016 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Hyun-jin Ryu To Undergo Shoulder Surgery
- Mariners Acquire Welington Castillo From Cubs For Yoervis Medina
- Bruce Chen Announces Retirement
- Red Sox Outright Allen Craig
- Marlins Name GM Dan Jennings Manager
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- NL Notes: Price, Mets, Cubs, Frias, Upton
- AL East Notes: Lindgren, Red Sox, Blue Jays
- MLBTR Originals
- Cafardo On Trade Deadline, Maddux, Tulo
- Minor Moves: Ka’aihue, Roe, Bianchi
- Huntington On Kang, Harrison, Kingham
- Brewers Notes: Draft, Braun, Gomez, Lucroy, Melvin
- Kyuji Fujikawa Clears Waivers, Now A Free Agent
- Rangers Sign Jared Burton To Minor League Contract
- NL West Notes: Chavez, Weiss, LeMahieu, Uribe
- Giants Designate Casey McGehee For Assignment
- Cubs Return Anthony Varvaro To Red Sox
- Reds Pitcher Making Ends Meet With Second Job
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Angels, Melancon, A’s
- Indians Designate Brett Hayes For Assignment
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Rob Mackowiak Rumors
A few notes popping up:
- The Houston Astros will have tryouts for the starting rotation at Spring Training. Felipe Paulino and Fernando Nieve are both young arms that will be considered, Alyson Footer of MLB.com reports. The Astros are tentatively counting on Roy Oswalt, Mike Hampton, Brandon Backe, Wandy Rodriguez and Brian Moehler to fill out their rotation.
- The New York Mets have finalized deals with utilityman Rob Mackowiak, right-handed pitcher Kyle Snyder and left-hander Jon Switzer to minor-league deals. The three will be competing for 25-man roster spots at Spring Training, Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports.
According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post the Mets will sign Rob Mackowiak to a minor league contract worth at least $600K. Incentives based on plate appearances could raise the value of the deal by $200K.
Troy Renck of the Denver Post adds a detail on the incentives: Mackowiak will earn $200K if he reaches 500 plate appearances.
A gathering of Sunday afternoon links…
- From the What Might’ve Been File – Phil Rogers reminds us that the White Sox offered more than the Cubs did for Kosuke Fukudome.
- The White Sox seem content with the current roster.
- River Ave. Blues doesn’t expect Brian Cashman and the Yankees to pursue an impact player at the trade deadline.
- The Reds signed Rob Mackowiak to a minor league deal.
- Free agent Freddy Garcia is looking to sign before the trade deadline. Garcia says he feels like he has a new shoulder.
- For the first time in their history, the Rays will consider trading for rentals.
According to a press release from the Nationals, they’ve signed Rob Mackowiak and Willie Harris to one-year deals. The idea is to bolster the bench.
Jayson Stark recently mentioned on ESPN’s Trade Deadline special edition of Baseball Tonight that the Padres acquired White Sox outfielder/utility guy Rob Mackowiak. The White Sox received 23 year-old High A reliever Jon Link.
According to the Chicago Tribune’s Mark Gonzales, the Brewers have an interest in White Sox utility man Rob Mackowiak. The White Sox don’t have a lot of room in the outfield for the 30 year-old Oak Lawn native.
Gonzales writes that the Brew Crew would use Mackowiak mainly as a backup at second and third, and may be offering Brady Clark. Clark doesn’t constitute an upgrade for the Sox, so the clubs would have to keep working to find a fit. GMs Doug Melvin and Kenny Williams pulled off a major deal in December of 2004 in the Carlos Lee/Scott Podsednik swap.
The Brewers have a fantastic long-term solution at third base in Ryan Braun, if he can only learn to play credible defense.
Two emailers just told me that Bruce Levine of ESPN Radio 1000 is reporting that the White Sox have dealt lefty reliever Damaso Marte for super-utility man Rob Mackowiak.
For his career, the 30 year-old Marte is 14-14 with a 3.21 ERA in 303 innings. He’s been tough to hit and strikes out many, but walks have always been a problem. In 2005, Marte walked a ridiculous 6.55 batters per nine innings. This will be a return to Pittsburgh for the southpaw. He was dealt for Matt Guerrier back in 2002.
Mackowiak, a native of Oak Lawn, IL, can handle most of the infield positions and anywhere in the outfield. His career numbers are .258/.328/.414. He’s a useful part if kept in a utility role.