Trade Rumors Apps
- Marlins To Sign Ichiro Suzuki
- Giants To Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong
- Braves To Sign Jonny Gomes
- Astros Sign Colby Rasmus
- Rangers Acquire Yovani Gallardo
- Cubs Acquire Dexter Fowler For Valbuena, Straily
- Nationals To Sign Max Scherzer
- Cardinals Sign Lance Lynn To Three-Year Deal
- Astros Acquire Evan Gattis
- Nationals, A's Swap Tyler Clippard, Yunel Escobar
- Royals Extend Ned Yost
- D-Backs Sign Yoan Lopez
- Pirates Sign Jung-ho Kang
- Athletics Acquire Ben Zobrist
- Non-Tender Tracker
- Non-Tender Candidates
- 2014-15 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- AL Notes: Rays, Gutierrez, Mariners, Butler, Royals
- Central Notes: White Sox, Twins, Baez
- Players Avoiding Arbitration: Sunday
- MLBTR Originals
- Mariners Re-Sign Endy Chavez
- Indians Notes: Payroll, Kluber, Murphy
- Brewers Notes: Bullpen, Braun, Nelson, Henderson, Thornburg
- Reactions To Manfred’s First Day As Commissioner
- Blue Jays End Negotiations For Dan Duquette
- East Notes: DeJesus, A-Rod, Flores
- West Notes: Astros, Tulowitzki, Padres
- Cafardo On Shields, Blue Jays, Price
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: D’Backs, Nelson, Navarro
- Quick Hits: Duquette, Flowers, Meyer
- Quick Hits: Shields, Yankees, Craig
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
As expected, the Red Sox have some outs in case Drew’s shoulder becomes a problem. Team doctors indicated that he could have shoulder issues three to five years from now, so the escape clauses are based on that assumption.
Boston officially has a murderer’s row of .400 OBP/.500-.600 SLG guys in the middle of their lineup. It will be a nasty stretch for any pitcher.
Bill Bavasi said yesterday to the AP that signing Ichiro Suzuki to a contract extension is a "top priority." John Hickey thinks it could get done sometime this spring.
If he did reach free agency, Ichiro would join the strongest crop of CFs in recent memory. His move to CF is long overdue, in my opinion. It maximizes his value.
Past speculation had the Giants as a possible suitor. Do you think four years and $60MM would be appropriate?
According to Ken Rosenthal, the Pirates are battling with the Cardinals for the services of Jeff Weaver. Weaver could reunite with his former manager and pitching coach in Pittsburgh and thankfully push Shawn Chacon out of the rotation. The Cards are still in the lead, however. The Mariners or Dodgers could be involved also.
You have to wonder if Boras could convince Weaver to take another one year contract, maybe in the $7MM range. He could stick in the NL all year and parlay it into a nice three-year pact if he pitches decently. His best bet is probably St. Louis; they’re offering two years.
After weeks of being close, the Cubs have signed outfielder Cliff Floyd to a one-year deal with a mutual option for ’08. The AP has the terms. It’s $3MM guaranteed, with bonuses that can bring it to a maximum of $17.5MM over the next two seasons.
Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times writes that the Devil Rays are close to signing first baseman Carlos Pena to a minor league deal. Tampa Bay wanted him last year too after Detroit released him. The Yankees picked him up but he didn’t get the call. He then exercised his option to become a free agent and signed with Boston. Pena’s best season was 2004, when he hit .241/.338/.472 in 142 games. He’ll turn 29 in May.
The Mariners or Dodgers could still make a play for Weaver as well. The Dodgers would really be stacked in the rotation, but maybe it would be to complement a trade.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch mentions this morning that the Cards have a two-year offer out to Weaver and expect a decision on that this week. Joe Strauss adds the Mets to the list of other possible suitors.
Am I allowed to recommend music here? I think I am. This is a good listen.
Fire Joe Morgan skewers a recent Bill Conlin column.
Sam Mellinger followed Billy Butler around for a day, and it was kind of interesting.
I personally didn’t deem this one worthy of a post, but what the hell. The Reds acquired 27 year-old groundballer Kirk Saarloos for minor leaguer David Shafer. Saarloos will battle Matt Belisle and Homer Bailey for the fifth starter job. Bailey should prevent Saarloos from getting more than ten starts in ’07.
Shafer’s work at Double A equates to a tolerable relief performance in the bigs (something like a 3.50 ERA and 1.35 WHIP with a strong groundball rate).
Jim Callis of Baseball America offers his take on Saarloos and Shafer.
The weird thing is that I already had a category for Saarloos on this site. He was rumored in a Milton Bradley trade a year ago.