With so many rumors, there's a need for a daily Odds and Ends post to catch 'em all.
- Buster Olney talked to Freddy Garcia's agent. He's looking at a June return from shoulder surgery.
- Indians GM Mark Shapiro made an offer on Brad Lidge. The Astros didn't even reply. They did hear back from the Marlins on their Miguel Cabrera inquiry. The price is seemingly too high for talks to continue. Peter Gammons says that before the Astros got Michael Bourn, the White Sox pushed for a Chad Qualls for Ryan Sweeney swap.
- Evan Grant notes that the Rangers have discussed trading shortstop Joaquin Arias to the Royals for Joey Gathright. They've also talked to the Brewers about Tony Gwynn Jr. GM Jon Daniels needs to have options if he can't afford Torii Hunter or the other free agents. Grant adds that the Rangers have already been in touch with Kerry Wood.
- Jose Guillen declined his $5MM option with the Mariners - that's no surprise. So far the Royals have expressed interest.
- Khalil Greene is under the Padres' control through 2009, but his salary is going to jump significantly in arbitration for the '08 and '09 seasons. The Padres want to sign him to a multiyear deal, perhaps buying out one year of free agency. GM Kevin Towers is also posturing that he might use Scott Hairston as the regular center fielder next year, which seems a stretch. Also, Geoff Jenkins is on Towers' radar.
- Ed Wade and the Astros have asked the Marlins about Dontrelle Willis. However the 'Stros probably do not have the goods.'
- One way or another, the Marlins will ditch Miguel Olivo. They hope to bring Yorvit Torrealba aboard, which would take an offer better than two years, $6MM. The Mets, Brewers, and Blue Jays also like Torrealba. The Marlins are serious about upgrading behind the plate and will spend some money to do so.
- Jorge Posada seems set on testing the market, which never bodes well for the incumbent team.
- David DeJesus is a hot commodity as an affordable center fielder, but Dayton Moore expects to hang onto him. Maybe he'll change his mind once some big names are off the board.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Odds and Ends: Garcia, Greene, DeJesus: