I'm not sure of the Giants' plan - are they rebuilding? Playing for 2008? Kind of rebuilding but trying to seem respectable?
At any rate, the Giants don't have much going on at first and third base. I like the idea of going after a cheap under-30 third base upside play like Dallas McPherson. But I wouldn't fill the spot with a vet just to fill it. As for first, I've said before I'd just toss Dan Ortmeier there for 550 ABs in lieu of adding some stopgap. But that's just me; here's the latest on Brian Sabean's corner infield pursuits:
- Tony Clark is a target, and San Francisco is a good fit for him in terms of playing time. He'd probably get a one-year deal and be paired with Ortmeier.
- The Mariners are apparently shopping Adrian Beltre for pitching. Doesn't seem to be a smart move for Seattle but it may be a moot point if they are nearing a Carlos Silva signing.
- No doubt Joe Crede can be had. Paul Konerko, not so much. Crede makes sense for the Giants in that they might be able to flip him if he has a good April-May.
- Morgan Ensberg is a free agent who would probably play for $3MM and jump at a full-time chance.
- Pedro Feliz remains on the radar, but apparently still wants three years. C'mon now.
- The Giants have "moved in opposing directions" with McPherson, a Scott Boras client.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Giants Pursuing Corner Infield Help: