Yesterday, Tim asked the question, "Who Wants Matt Murton?" As we await the answer to that question, only one thing is clear, the Cubs don't. Surprising for a player that is only 26 and PECOTA projects to have an .821 OPS, 19.8 VORP and 2.4 WARP in 2008 assuming he can find a team that will give him big league at bats. With only two years of service time, Murton is still a year from arbitration and four years from free agency, so he should be able to command a solid relief pitcher in return. Let's take a look at what is being said about Murton in the Blogophere.
- Hire Jim Essian wonders how Murton ended up in this position and finds it hard to believe that Jim Hendry hasn't been able to swing a deal yet if they knew that Murton was not part of the equation.
- Cobra Brigade sees the way the Cubs have handled Murton as just another example of how the Cubs don't know how to handle pretty much anything. They believe that Murton could be a solid contributor with an AL club as an everyday left fielder.
- Snobs vs Slobs is not really sure why the Cubs essentially dropped Murton for Reed Johnson, noting that Johnson is an average defensive outfielder and not nearly the bat of Murton.
- Mets Fever feels that Aaron Heilman is too big a price for Murton.
- Talking Chop believes that Murton could be a nice addition to the Braves, filling the need for an experienced bat with pop off the bench.
- DRays Bay acknowledges that the Rays would prefer a switch-hitting center fielder, but doesn't think they could find one that hits as well as Murton.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Matt Murton: