Here’s the latest from CBSSports.com’s Danny Knobler.
- A rumor made the rounds that Pirates president Frank Coonelly and GM Neal Huntington were at odds over the team’s strategy, with Coonelly pushing .500 as a goal. Huntington denied that, and has five coveted players to work with in the next week. Keep in mind that only Damaso Marte is a free agent after the season, so moves can be made in the offseason.
- Teams with available relievers believes the Brewers are still in the market, despite Doug Melvin’s claims. Many teams are scouting the Brewers’ Double A club.
- Adrian Beltre’s contract wouldn’t be a problem for the Twins, but the teams haven’t found a match on players.
- Knobler heard that the Marlins might consider Baltimore catcher Ramon Hernandez.
- The rumor about Kevin Towers becoming a candidate for the Seattle GM vacancy won’t die.
- Some folks expect the White Sox to move shortstop Orlando Cabrera before the deadline. They’re still looking for pitching.