SI.com’s Jon Heyman checks in with a new column.
- Jarrod Washburn reportedly cleared waivers, though Heyman’s use of the word "reportedly" makes me think the statement came from one of the shaky reports floating about. We’ll wait for definitive word on that one.
- Heyman’s sources say the Yankees plan to offer a new contract to GM Brian Cashman after the season. Hank Steinbrenner has apparently warmed to Cashman. Additionally, "club higherups" expect Cashman will want to stay rather than jump to the Seattle job.
- Heyman loves the Freddy Garcia acquisition; he wonders if Garcia will be motivated by Ozzie Guillen’s comments. The White Sox weren’t interested; Guillen doesn’t think Garcia will be ready for the playoffs. There’s a chance Garcia could return to the Tigers in ’09.
- Heyman says it was a 2-2 vote whether to keep Manny Ramirez in Boston – Theo Epstein and Tom Werner advocating a trade, and Larry Lucchino and John Henry preferring to keep him. Henry changed his mind and the deal was made. Lucchino recently denied Heyman’s speculation that he might leave after the season.
- The Rays made an offer to Kenny Lofton in spring and even gave Barry Bonds consideration. But now a signing of either is "highly unlikely." Giants GM Brian Sabean thinks the Rays should sign Bonds.
- Heyman continues to speculate that Jim Bowden could be fired.
- One GM expects the Padres to pick up Brian Giles’ $9MM option for ’09. It’s an easy decision since it has a $3MM buyout. However, Peter Gammons says it will be declined.