Ken Rosenthal has a new column up; let’s take a look.
- Rosenthal agrees with those who considered C.C. Sabathia pitching the ninth inning Monday a needless risk. Sabathia already had thrown 112 pitches and the Brewers had a seven run lead, but he pitched the ninth to bring the total to 130. The innings shouldn’t affect Sabathia’s payday, but hopefully he remains healthy.
- Rosenthal sees a minimal chance of Ryan Dempster signing elsewhere, given his strong relationship with Cubs GM Jim Hendry. Dempster will be the Cubs’ top offseason priority. I also consider Kerry Wood unlikely to leave.
- Add Melvin Mora to the list of players who have cleared waivers. He, Aubrey Huff, and Ramon Hernandez will be shopped this winter. Mora has raised his numbers and stock significantly by hitting .378/.421/.652 since the beginning of July. He has a full no-trade clause and is owed $9MM next year.
- The Indians are almost certain to sign a closer this winter, with Brandon Lyon and Brian Fuentes perhaps the best available aside from Francisco Rodriguez and Wood.
- The Rockies will place Fuentes on waivers soon and may also shop Willy Taveras. Manny Corpas has already hit the wire.
- Rosenthal figures Mike Cameron‘s $10MM option for ’09 will be exercised. Cameron is hitting .245/.333/.509 in 372 plate appearances while playing strong defense.
- Gary Matthews Jr.‘s knee injury may prevent the Angels from trading him this winter. That, and the $33MM owed to him through 2011.