Reading material for Tuesday…
- Chris Carpenter is reportedly dealing with a unique and career-threatening nerve injury, which could increase the Cardinals’ need for starting pitching this winter.
- Viva El Birdos says the Cardinals should offer Ryan Ludwick and others for Matt Cain. Can’t hurt to ask.
- The Cubs claimed outfielder Brad Snyder off waivers from the Indians. He was the 18th overall pick in 2003, but hasn’t produced enough in the minors.
- Milton Bradley stands to earn another half-million bucks if he can snag seven more plate appearances. Bradley met with the Rangers a few months ago to discuss a long-term deal, but nothing is close. Bradley feels the Rangers are dragging their feet, and gives 50-50 odds on a return. He said he’d quit baseball if he couldn’t find a multiyear deal somewhere.
- Sam Mellinger reminds Royals fans that their long-term success hinges on the development of in-house youngsters rather than free agent signings.
- Steven Goldman notes that the Red Sox are far better prepared for the future than the Yankees.