Let’s dig in with today’s links!
- As you know, the Steinbrenners want Brian Cashman back for ’09. Now it’s up to him.
- Geovany Soto was discussed as a throw-in on the trade that ultimately sent Sammy Sosa to Baltimore back in ’05. One that did get away that year: Ricky Nolasco (in the Juan Pierre deal).
- Michael Gluckstadt interviewed ESPN’s Buster Olney.
- CBSSports.com’s Danny Knobler takes a look at the deep free agent class of starting pitchers. Dave Cameron considers this "the greatest collection of free agent arms to hit free agency at the same time in the history of the game."
- Joel Sherman disagrees with the ’09 Joba Rules.
- Ned Colletti, the game’s best GM? It’s hard to tell if T.J. Simers is being entirely serious here.
- Nick Piecoro gives a scout’s take on Chad Beck, who the D’Backs sent to Toronto for David Eckstein.
- The Red Sox, Braves, and Mets are eyeing Japanese amateur pitcher Junichi Tazawa, and Patrick Newman has more details.
- John Perrotto says Pedro Alvarez is coming across as a punk.