Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has the latest from Brewers GM Doug Melvin on the team’s plans:
- We already knew Melvin doesn’t anticipate signing a free agent starter.
- Derek Lowe isn’t an option for the Brewers, who haven’t even talked to Scott Boras.
- The Brewers will monitor the trade market and consider dealing for a starter.
- The team could make an exception for Ben Sheets. Melvin said he’d have to consider signing the pitcher if he wanted to return to Milwaukee.
- Before signing Trevor Hoffman, the Brewers were looking into Juan Cruz, a Type A free agent, but didn’t like the idea of giving up a first rounder, especially now that they’ll only get a second round pick for losing C.C. Sabathia.
- The Yankees still have interest in Mike Cameron and floated the idea of a Nick Swisher for Cameron swap.
- Melvin likes Cameron’s defense though, so he’s "not motivated to move him."
- After they’re done with their six arbitration cases, the Brewers payroll will approach $80MM.