With every Sunday come rumors from the Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo:
- Cafardo asks Tom Glavine whether he’d consider another year if 2009 is a success. Glavine didn’t say no: "I’m not prepared right now to say. It would take a lot of good things to happen this year to consider playing next year. Last year, I didn’t think I’d be sitting here this year, so I guess you never know."
- Nomar Garciaparra had placed a call to the Red Sox front office inquiring about their potential interest.
- If he hits free agency, Joe Mauer is expected to receive offers in the $20-25MM range and "The Sox are expected to be front and center." Mauer is signed with the Twins through 2010. He’ll make $10.5MM this year and $12.5MM in 2010.
- Dusty Baker thinks Barry Bonds would still be a top hitter in the league. Says Baker, "He’s one of those guys that will be able to pick up a bat when he’s an old man and still get a hit."
- Andruw Jones is 4 for 18 with 10 strikeouts to start spring training.
- Scouts agree: George Kottaras would clear waivers if designated for assignment, meaning the Red Sox may not have to deal the catching prospect.
- Cafardo would make the Clay Buchholz-Jarrod Saltalamacchia trade right now.