Manny Ramirez agreed to a deal with the Dodgers today after extensive negotiations. What's everyone saying about it? Here's a look at some reactions from around the game:
- ESPN.com's Jayson Stark passes along five words that were vital in the negotiations: "We want to say yes." Stark's explanation of how the deal came together is a great read.
- Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports writes that no one looks good in the aftermath of this deal.
- Both sides made silly mistakes, but "everyone moved on," according to ESPN.com's Peter Gammons, who likes this deal for all involved. Here's a clip of Gammons discussing the deal on ESPN.com.
- Ned Colletti's the winner if you ask Bill Plaschke of the LA Times.
- Jon Heyman of SI.com writes that Manny's excited to be back, even without a $100MM contract in hand. The mood brightened at Dodgers' camp today, even though Manny wasn't there yet.
- Yahoo's Jeff Passan bluntly states: "Ramirez could care less about the team for which he plays so long as it dumps the most money into his bank account."
- Rob Neyer of ESPN.com likes the Dodgers' lineup. The gap between Manny's production and Juan Pierre's should be massive, yet the Dodgers only guaranteed Manny $1MM more than Pierre.
- Alan Embree told MLB.com's Thomas Harding that Manny will make a huge difference. At least one of Embree's teammates, Brad Hawpe, doesn't believe one player can change that much.
- Yahoo's Tim Brown suggests the saga was always going to end this way.
- Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News writes that the Giants would only have signed Manny if there was value to be had. The Giants' players don't sound disappointed to have missed out.
White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
12 Teams In On Jason Hammel Nationals Eyeing J.P. Howell, Scott Downs Twins In, Orioles Out On Rajai Davis NL Central Notes: Cubs, Pirates, Brewers, Hart Latest On Masahiro Tanaka Reliever Rumors: Mets, Orioles, Mariners, Tigers Mets Exploring Ike Davis, Daniel Murphy Trades Indians Willing To Listen On Justin Masterson Blue Jays Rumors: Lind, Loney, Moreland, Morrison Lucas Harrell Drawing Trade Interest NL West Rumors: D-Backs, Padres, Giants Jamey Wright Choosing Between Rays, Dodgers Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mark Prior Officially Retires; Could Join Padres Front Office Chances Of Mark Trumbo Trade Increasing
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors