After the longest spring training in history, it felt like Opening Day might never arrive. As teams finalize their 25-man rosters, here are some notes from yesterday and today's headlines:
- Third baseman Pablo Sandoval was made the lone-backup for catcher Bengie Molina as the Giants finalize their Opening Day roster and go with a 12-man pitching staff, according to Chris Haft of MLB.com.
- As anticipated, Mike Sweeney and his .408 spring batting average made the Mariners' roster, says Larry Stone of the Seattle Times and the M's are without a lefty reliever. Ichiro Suzuki could make a return by next Friday in Oakland, reports the Kyodo News.
- The AP reports the Diamonbacks added Ryan Roberts as a utility man.
- Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle points out that 24-year old Andrew Bailey, "an unheralded nonroster invitee to major-league camp who hadn't pitched in relief before last summer is now a member of Oakland's bullpen."
- The Phillies added Miguel Cairo.