The Diamondbacks are 13-21, already 9 games behind the Dodgers in the NL West. They may be willing to trade several veteran players in the coming months; let's take a look.
- Eric Byrnes, OF - $8.7MM remaining in '09, $11MM in '10, no-trade protection. The 33 year-old outfielder is hitting .207/.257/.413 in 102 plate appearances on the season. Most teams probably view this as a $20MM commitment to a fourth outfielder, so the D'Backs would have to accept another bad contract in return to move Byrnes.
- Doug Davis, SP – $6.9MM remaining in '09. If you're wondering what type of pitchers might be available in July, Davis is a great example. The 33 year-old southpaw has a 3.25 ERA in 44.3 innings. He's improved his control, but is fortunate to have a .263 batting average on balls in play.
- Jon Garland, SP – $4.94MM remaining in '09, $10MM mutual option for '10 with a $2.5MM buyout if club declines or a $1MM buyout if Garland declines. If Garland is traded, his new club cannot offer him arbitration if he's a Type A free agent. The 29 year-old righty has a 5.18 ERA in 41.6 innings. His walk and strikeout rates have surprisingly moved in the wrong directions upon switching to the NL. He may be tougher to trade than Davis.
- Felipe Lopez, 2B – $2.77MM remaining in '09. Lopez picked up where he left off with the Cardinals – .328/.390/.504 in 146 plate appearances this year. He's even been above average defensively, according to UZR. Lopez is represented by Scott Boras and is only 29, so he's primed for a big free agent contract. He could be a useful addition for the White Sox or Twins.
- Chad Tracy, 1B – $3.75MM remaining in '09, $7MM option with a $1MM buyout for '10. Tracy is off to a slow start at .207/.239/.366 in 88 plate appearances.
- Scott Schoeneweis, RP - Mets paying $1.6MM of his $3.6MM '09 salary. He's done his job, holding lefties to a .182/.217/.318 line. He might make sense for the Cubs.
- Jon Rauch, RP – $1.58MM remaining in '09, $2.9MM club option for '10. Rauch has been terrible since joining the D'Backs last year – a 6.76 ERA in 37.3 innings.
- Tom Gordon, RP – $500K salary plus incentives. Flash, 41, is back on the DL with a hamstring injury.
- Role players Tony Clark and Augie Ojeda could also be made available.