Astros Agree To Terms With Jiovanni Mier

THURSDAY, 9:05am: Richard Justice of the Chronicle reports that the deal is for $1.358MM, which is slightly over slot.

3:35pm: Mier told MLB.com's Brian McTaggart that he reached a deal with the Astros, pending a physical later in the week.

2:55pm: Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle reports that Astros scouting director Bobby Heck says "talks are still ongoing" with Mier.

WEDNESDAY, 12:10pm: ESPN.com's Keith Law reports that the Astros agreed to terms with first round pick Jiovanni Mier. As Jose de Jesus Ortiz of the Houston Chronicle reported after the draft, Mier is an 18-year-old shortstop with good field awareness and a good bat. 

Last month, ESPN.com's Jason A. Churchill said Mier has the potential to add power, but really excites scouts because of his defense.

Click here to see which first rounders have signed so far.


Full Story | 0 Comments | Categories: Houston Astros
blog comments powered by Disqus