Mark Buehrle is human, for now. Aren't we all? Congrats to him on a ridiculous run. Here are some links to chew on in the meantime, with more to come:
- Chico Harlan at the Washington Post runs down the Nationals' trade chips, and says that the Nats' asking price for them is still reported to be high.
- Mets COO Jeff Wilpon has come out to defend the job of GM Omar Minaya, as David Lennon at Newsday reports, after his bizarre meltdown in a press conference yesterday announcing the firing of assistant Tony Bernazard.
- With the Padres apparently more willing to sell their big pieces, Corey Brock at MLB.com wonders whether dealing Heath Bell or Adrian Gonzalez would be more beneficial in the rebuilding process.
- Bill Ladson at MLB.com says that if the Nationals can't trade Nick Johnson, they'll need to figure out his contract situation soon. He's seeking a two-year deal, and reportedly wants a raise from the three-year, $16.5MM extension he previously signed.
- Jayson Stark at ESPN provides some background drama to the positions of the GMs in Philadelphia and Toronto.
- Rob Biertempfel at the Pittsburgh Post-Tribune reports that the Pirates signed fifth-round pick Nathan Baker, but he's only one of 18 signed out of 51 as the deadline looms.
- Lyle Spencer at MLB.com doesn't think you should expect the Angels to include Erick Aybar in any deals.