ESPN.com's Buster Olney says yesterday's Pirates-Yankees trade proves we're looking at a buyer's market this year. The Pirates had to include $400k to shed part of Eric Hinske's salary, and they won't be the only ones including salary relief in trades. Here are the rest of Olney's rumors:
- The suitors for players like Nick Johnson and Josh Willingham may start disappearing if the few teams who can take on salary decide to look elsewhere for help.
- Olney says the Pirates acquired potential success in Lastings Milledge.
- The Marlins are still looking aggressively for relievers.
- Now that Mike Lowell's out, the Red Sox and Rockies seem to match up well for a possible deal that would send Garrett Atkins to Boston for a reliever.
- The Braves are willing to trade Yunel Escobar for a good hitter.