Post-trade deadline lull be damned, there was still a flurry of moves and rumors last week. Let's recap...
- We learned of a few failed trades in the week after the trade deadline, none bigger than a three-way deal that would have sent Felix Hernandez to Boston, Adrian Gonzalez to Seattle, and a horde of prospects to San Diego. Contrary to some reports, the Dodgers were "never close" to dealing first baseman James Loney.
- Blue Jays outfielder Alex Rios was claimed off waivers, possibly by the White Sox. We won't know for sure which team won the claim until early next week, however. The 28-yr old Rios is guaranteed more than $60MM through 2014, so the Jays have a tremendous opportunity to free up some money for the future should they decide to unload him.
- In the "wow, I didn't think they'd actually do it" move of the week, the Red Sox designated the struggling John Smoltz for assignment. We know one team that's unlikely to pursue the future Hall of Famer, and that's the Cardinals. In their perpetual search for a shortstop, Boston put in a waiver claim for the Nationals' Cristian Guzman, while also signing veteran Paul Byrd to a minor league deal for depth. The Sox may also listen to offers for Daisuke Matsuzaka in the future.
- In need of another arm for their rotation, the Twins sent a player to be named later to the Indians for Carl Pavano. Cleveland gets some salary relief out of the deal, as Minnesota will pay what's left on his contract.
- Stuck battling for a playoff spot, the Rays bolstered their roster by claiming reliever Russ Springer off waivers from the A's and trading a PTBNL or cash for backstop Gregg Zaun. One of the teams battling the Rays for a playoff spot, the Rangers, went with additon by subtraction by designating Vicente Padilla for assignment.
- The Brewers acquired veteran reliever David Weathers from the Reds in exchange for prospects or cash to shore up the bullpen down the stretch, while the Yankees did the same by acquiring Chad Gaudin from the Padres.
- After hitting just .193-.332-.364 in 83 games, Oakland released the injured Jason Giambi. The Cubs cut B.J. Ryan after he asked for his release.
- On the amateur front, the Pirates broke the bank to sign sixth rounder Zach Von Rosenberg and eighth rounder Colton Cain to seven figure bonuses. The Braves signed first rounder Mike Minor to the largest bonus in club history, which was also the largest bonus ever given out to a seventh overall pick. We also learned that the signing deadline does not apply to Aaron Crow and Tanner Scheppers since they played in independent ball last season. They're free to sign at any point up until a week before next year's draft. The investigation into Miguel Angel Sano's age is still ongoing, while Cuban defectees Yadel Marti, Yasser Gomez, and Juan Yasser were declared free agents.
Braves Sign Ervin Santana Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Braves Sign Ervin Santana Astros Release Brett Wallace AL Notes: Kipnis, Sizemore, Mulder Ervin Santana Rumors: Tuesday NL Notes: Taveras, Stutes, Flores, Cervelli Minor Moves: Rodriguez, Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Offseason In Review: Chicago White Sox Out Of Options Players: NL East MLBTR Chat Transcript Orioles Notes: Machado, Extensions, Santana, Schoop Kris Medlen Believed To Have Ligament Damage Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors