Post-trade deadline lull be damned, there was still a flurry of moves and rumors last week. Let's recap...
- We learned of a few failed trades in the week after the trade deadline, none bigger than a three-way deal that would have sent Felix Hernandez to Boston, Adrian Gonzalez to Seattle, and a horde of prospects to San Diego. Contrary to some reports, the Dodgers were "never close" to dealing first baseman James Loney.
- Blue Jays outfielder Alex Rios was claimed off waivers, possibly by the White Sox. We won't know for sure which team won the claim until early next week, however. The 28-yr old Rios is guaranteed more than $60MM through 2014, so the Jays have a tremendous opportunity to free up some money for the future should they decide to unload him.
- In the "wow, I didn't think they'd actually do it" move of the week, the Red Sox designated the struggling John Smoltz for assignment. We know one team that's unlikely to pursue the future Hall of Famer, and that's the Cardinals. In their perpetual search for a shortstop, Boston put in a waiver claim for the Nationals' Cristian Guzman, while also signing veteran Paul Byrd to a minor league deal for depth. The Sox may also listen to offers for Daisuke Matsuzaka in the future.
- In need of another arm for their rotation, the Twins sent a player to be named later to the Indians for Carl Pavano. Cleveland gets some salary relief out of the deal, as Minnesota will pay what's left on his contract.
- Stuck battling for a playoff spot, the Rays bolstered their roster by claiming reliever Russ Springer off waivers from the A's and trading a PTBNL or cash for backstop Gregg Zaun. One of the teams battling the Rays for a playoff spot, the Rangers, went with additon by subtraction by designating Vicente Padilla for assignment.
- The Brewers acquired veteran reliever David Weathers from the Reds in exchange for prospects or cash to shore up the bullpen down the stretch, while the Yankees did the same by acquiring Chad Gaudin from the Padres.
- After hitting just .193-.332-.364 in 83 games, Oakland released the injured Jason Giambi. The Cubs cut B.J. Ryan after he asked for his release.
- On the amateur front, the Pirates broke the bank to sign sixth rounder Zach Von Rosenberg and eighth rounder Colton Cain to seven figure bonuses. The Braves signed first rounder Mike Minor to the largest bonus in club history, which was also the largest bonus ever given out to a seventh overall pick. We also learned that the signing deadline does not apply to Aaron Crow and Tanner Scheppers since they played in independent ball last season. They're free to sign at any point up until a week before next year's draft. The investigation into Miguel Angel Sano's age is still ongoing, while Cuban defectees Yadel Marti, Yasser Gomez, and Juan Yasser were declared free agents.
Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Marlins Release David Aardsma Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel Cubs Extend Anthony Rizzo Reds Designate Corky Miller For Assignment Cubs Release Kameron Loe Astros Release Rick Ankiel Blue Jays Designate Edgar Gonzalez For Assignment Pirates Release Jonathan Sanchez
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Contract Extensions Changing The Free Agent Market Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL East Notes: Yankees, Orioles, Ishikawa Twins Release Rafael Perez Draft Notes: Gray, Manaea, Twins, White Sox Padres Don't Intend To Trade Chase Headley Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment A's Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Astros Open To Extension With Jose Altuve Minor Moves: Humber, Jeroloman, Boyer Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Halladay, Porcello, Dodgers Hanshin Tigers Pursuing David Aardsma Free Agent Stock Watch: Edward Mujica Best Command Among 2014 Free Agents Trade Candidate: Bud Norris
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors