Today let's take a look at the free agent market for second basemen.
- Chone Figgins deserves his own bullet. He hasn't spent significant time at second base since 2005, but his work at the hot corner this year suggests he'd be fine moving back. He's a Type A free agent with a robust .402 OBP and the versatility to handle many positions. Jerry Hairston Jr., also a free agent, is a poor man's Figgins. Mark DeRosa fits somewhere in-between.
- Plenty of other solid OBP options: Felipe Lopez at .369, Jamey Carroll at .367, Craig Counsell at .362, Akinori Iwamura at .361 (club option), and Orlando Hudson at .356. OBP alone won't guarantee a job, though - Ray Durham had a .380 rate in '08 and did not play this year.
- Second base is not a power position; best you'll find is DeRosa with a .445 SLG. Freddy Sanchez is at .434 (club option), Counsell .423, Lopez .421, Hudson .419. Ronnie Belliard (.473), DeRosa (.457), and Hudson (.450) showed decent pop last year.
- Defensively, John Dewan of The Fielding Bible considers Hudson, Placido Polanco, and Adam Kennedy among the ten best second basemen in the game. UZR/150 points to Carroll, Counsell, Juan Uribe, Polanco, Belliard, Sanchez, Lopez, and Iwamura as above-average this year in limited samples. Last year Kennedy and Uribe ranked highly.
- Iwamura's club option is for $4.25MM with a $250K buyout, while Sanchez's is for $8MM with a $600K buyout. The Rays have the depth to let Iwamura leave, while the Giants could keep Sanchez to help justify their trade of Tim Alderson.
- Lopez joins Figgins as a Type A free agent; Polanco and DeRosa are currently Bs.
- Lopez and Alex Cora are represented by Scott Boras.
- Looking to convince a shortstop to play second base? Orlando Cabrera, Bobby Crosby, Adam Everett, Khalil Greene, Marco Scutaro, Miguel Tejada, and Jack Wilson (club option) are among those available.
Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Fasano, Matsui, Orioles Twins Claim Sam Fuld, Designate Darin Mastroianni Yankees Designate Matt Daley For Assignment Tigers Release Alex Gonzalez Quick Hits: Prospects, Pirates, Brewers NL East Notes: Mets, Braves West Notes: Padres, A's, Angels Lannan Accepts Mets' Outright Assignment NL Notes: Braves, Mets, Cubs, Willis White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Rosenthal On Diamondbacks, Braves, Drew Chris Snyder Retires Pirates Designate Travis Ishikawa For Assignment NL Notes: Polanco, Bradley, Abreu AL Notes: Orioles, Izturis, Rangers, Bartlett
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors