Several contenders could use a boost in the slugging department, especially the Padres and A's. Let's take a look at potentially available power bats for the trade deadline.
- Prince Fielder, Brewers. Fielder has shown less power than the others on this list, with a slugging percentage of just .437. Still, he gets on base and has slugged over .600 in multiple seasons. He has $6.7MM left on this year's contract and will get a raise in arbitration after the season. Fielder obviously won't come cheap, if he's even made available.
- Lance Berkman, Astros. He's not showing power yet this year and has $11.2MM left on his contract. And that's if he backs down from the idea of demanding his option be exercised upon a trade.
- Paul Konerko, White Sox. Konerko's .610 SLG ranks fourth in the American League, so in that regard he's the best available power bat. Obstacles: he's owed $7.6MM and has a full no-trade clause. With a surprising .583 SLG, Konerko's teammate Alex Rios is another consideration. Rios is having a fine year, even if U.S. Cellular is giving his bat a boost. His contract still has over $56MM through 2014, and he can block trades to six teams. Andruw Jones should be widely available, though he's fared poorly since May 1st.
- Corey Hart, Brewers. Hart somehow leads the NL with 15 home runs. Like Fielder, the Brewers might prefer to keep the arbitration-eligible outfielder around for 2011 if they want to contend.
- Kelly Johnson, Diamondbacks. Arizona's second baseman is also arbitration-eligible after the season. He's plenty valuable, but keep in mind he's hitting a more reasonable .254/.361/.429 since May 1st. Johnson's teammate Adam LaRoche should be attainable, though he's down to .250/.344/.443.
- Luke Scott and Ty Wigginton, Orioles. Both players are slugging over .500 and should be available. Scott is under team control through 2012, but he's already earning $4.05MM. Wiggy is owed $2.2MM through the rest of this season.
- Jose Guillen, Royals. He's hitting just .213/.322/.394 since May 1st. Guillen is owed the same amount as Konerko, but could probably be had for just a slight amount of salary relief. More interesting is Guillen's teammate David DeJesus, who's hitting .306/.378/.461 on the season. He can be controlled through next year, so the Royals should get something useful in return.
- Austin Kearns, Indians. Kearns is a cheap rental with less than $500K remaining, and he's hitting .306/.380/.482. Kearns' teammate Russell Branyan has a .463 SLG, if you prefer 1B/DH power.
- Ryan Doumit, Pirates. The Bucs' backstop is at .281/.366/.461 on the season. He's got about $7.8MM left through 2011.
- Others with pop: Jim Edmonds, Hunter Pence, Rickie Weeks, Garrett Jones, Ryan Raburn, Carlos Lee, Mike Lowell, Travis Hafner, Lyle Overbay, Jose Lopez, and Miguel Tejada. For now we've left the Blue Jays, Nationals, and Cubs off the list, but that could change.
Mets To Sign Bartolo Colon Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Doug Fister's Hidden Value To The Nationals Yankees Turned Down Gardner-For-Phillips Swap Looking At The Market For Kendrys Morales Minor Moves: Wilk, Martin, Hottovy Blue Jays Agree To Sign Tomo Ohka Braves Avoid Arbitration With Jordan Walden Quick Hits: Dodgers, Arroyo, Giants, Axford AL East Rumors: Drew, Balfour, Orioles, Red Sox Orioles Made Offers To Balfour, Axford Shin-Soo Choo Rumors: Wednesday Astros In Serious Discussions With Mike Morse West Notes: Morales, Kemp, Sandoval, Baker Quick Hits: Diaz, Benoit, Axford, Feldman, Ibanez NL Central Rumors: Boggs, Cubs, Pirates, Burnett D'Backs Notes: Towers, Tanaka, Garza, Santana
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors