The latest on the Red Sox, one night after a near-no-hitter almost turned into an ugly loss:
- Adrian Beltre told Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald that "it's too early to tell" if he'll re-sign in Boston after the season. We still have two months to go before the end of the regular season, so it's hard to argue with Beltre's logic.
- It's a "longshot" that Jed Lowrie ends up with the Padres, according to MLB.com's Corey Brock (via Twitter).
- Mike Lowell told Rob Bradford of WEEI.com that he'll decide whether to retire in September.
- ESPN.com's Buster Olney predicts that the Red Sox will keep David Ortiz next year, if only to prevent Big Papi from signing with the Rays or Yankees.
- Manager Terry Francona wondered to Lauber if Josh Beckett's early-season struggles may have been related to the $68MM extension he signed.