Links for Tuesday, after a night of drama in Cincinnati…
- The Rockies agreed to sign 15th-rounder Will Swanner to a $490K bonus, according to Jim Callis of Baseball America. That's third-round money for the 18-year-old.
- Callis writes that “it's a near lock that we'll get an earlier signing deadline” when baseball’s collective bargaining agreement expires after next season. Callis suggests the deadline – now August 15th – could move up a month.
- Dan Haren tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports that he is glad to have landed in Anaheim, since he rooted for the Angels growing up. Haren, who has already been traded three times, is a deal-maker himself, at least when it comes to fantasy football.
- MLB executives tell Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus that Angels first rounder Kaleb Cowart will be a "very tough sign" (Twitter link).
- Aramis Ramirez told Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times that he has been impressed by Cubs youngsters Andrew Cashner, Starlin Castro and Tyler Colvin.
- Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos explained to Tom Verducci of SI.com that he wants to build his rotation around power arms. So far, so good; Blue Jays starters have posted 7.5 K/9 in 2010.
- Check out Tim Dierkes' examination of Peter Bourjos at RotoAuthority if you're wondering about the speedy center fielder's fantasy value.
- The Marlins agreed to sign third rounder J.T. Realmuto for $600K, according to Jim Callis of Baseball America. That’s nearly double the recommended bonus of $310K.