It's Sunday, which means it's time for a look back on the week that was here on MLBTR:
- The offseason is beginning to take shape, as we heard that Cliff Lee may seek a C.C. Sabathia-type contract, but the Tigers won't be one of the teams pursuing him (or any other top starters for that matter).
- Meanwhile, Angels owner Arte Moreno is prepared to spend big and targeting Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth. The Cubs are looking to spend too, except they're targeting the draft and scouting.
- The Orioles will look to add power to their lineup, while Lance Berkman will seek out an everyday role somewhere as opposed to a platoon position.
- It's unlikely to think about David Wright being traded, but Mets COO Jeff Wilpon's comments that they'd have to be open to anything has at least spurred speculation. For what it's worth, Wright wants to stay.
- We saw lots of managerial decisions this week, as the Brewers declined their option on Ken Macha, the Reds signed Dusty Baker to a two-year extension, the Mets relieved Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel of their duties, and the Diamondbacks retained both manager Kirk Gibson, who received a two-year extension as well, and former GM Jerry Dipoto (now the senior vice president of scouting and player development).
- Meanwhile, the Astros exercised Brad Mills' 2012 option and added another for 2013, but weren't done there. They made a decision on two player options, exercising Jason Michaels' $900K option while paying a $150K buyout on Geoff Blum's $1.65MM option.
- The Rockies aren't sure on what do with their half of Miguel Olivo's option for 2011, as Victor Martinez is also on their radar, but they're likely discussing a deal to keep Jorge de la Rosa in Colorado.
- A more noteworthy option we learned about was Bronson Arroyo's $11MM option for 2011, which will "definitely" be picked up, according to GM Walt Jocketty. The Reds have a $2MM buyout on the option, so Arroyo is essentially returning on a one-year, $9MM deal. Jocketty will try to extend the veteran workhorse this offseason.
- Perhaps the biggest piece of option news this week relates to Albert Pujols though, whose $16MM option for 2011 was exercised by the Cardinals (not that there was ever any doubt). The Cardinals will be trying everything they can to get Pujols locked up beyond 2011, I'm sure. Side note on Pujols in case you weren't aware, both he and Rafael Furcal now have ten-and-five rights.
- The Padres announced that they'll decline Chris Young's option for 2011 and GM Jed Hoyer will meet with Adrian Gonzalez's agent in the coming weeks. Later in the week we heard the Padres signing Gonzo long-term isn't "practical."
- Cards GM John Mozeliak may have insisted that Colby Rasmus won't be traded, but that won't stop other teams from preparing to make a push for the 24-year-old. After his minor fallout with the Cardinals this season, you can bet all 29 teams have at least thought about making an offer.
- Four Orioles minor leaguers elected free agency, while the Padres claimed Jarrett Hoffpauir from the Blue Jays, and the Rangers claimed Ryan Tucker from the Marlins, designating Rich Harden for assignment in order to do so.
- The Red Sox removed Robert Manuel, Dusty Brown, and Kevin Cash from their 40-man roster; all three will be eligible for free agency following the World Series.
- Daisuke Matsuzaka may have his ups and downs, but he's very much part of Boston's plans in 2011. They won't look to trade him.
- Another Japanese pitcher, Hisashi Iwakuma, was posted by the Rakuten Golden Eagles this week. The 29-year-old posted strong numbers in Japan this past season.
- Lastly, best wishes to Mike Redmond in his post-playing career in baseball. The veteran backstop retired this week, but is expected to find a managerial or coaching job elsewhere in the game. Redmond played 764 games over 13 seasons; not bad for a guy who wasn't drafted. Congratulations, Mike!
Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Luke Hochevar To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Royals Release Brad Penny Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled AL Central Notes: Masterson, De Aza, Santana, Tigers NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West Yasiel Puig Switches Representation Ervin Santana Rumors: Thursday Offseason In Review: Miami Marlins Twins Notes: Mauer, Dozier, Parmelee, Pierzynski Out Of Options Players: AL Central Cardinals Nearing Extension With Matt Carpenter Phillies Notes: Hamels, Defensive Shifts Rosenthal's Latest: Masterson, Burns, Olt, Francisco
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors