Three years ago today, the Tigers signed Miguel Cabrera to an eight-year, $152.3MM contract extension less than four months after acquiring him from the Marlins. It was the fifth largest contract in baseball history at the time, and it bought out two arbitration years plus six years of free agency. Despite some off-the-field trouble, Cabrera has more than held up his end of the bargain, hitting .314/.388/.567 with 109 homers since signing the deal.
Here is the latest baseball talk from around the web…
- Pitchers & Poets lists the worst caps of all-time.
- MLB Trade Trees put together a Gary Sheffield trade tree.
- Beer Leaguer looks back at the Paul Konerko for Mike Cameron trade (part one, part two).
- Crashburn Alley makes an encouraging comparison regarding the 2011 Phillies.
- The Nats Blog tries to make sense of the Oliver Perez signing for Washington.
- Beyond The Box Score wonders if the Marlins should try to acquire Nyjer Morgan.
- Splashing Pumpkins lists some conditions that have to be met if the Giants start Brandon Belt in the majors.
- DRays Bay explores the Casey Kotchman option.
- Royals Review lists the ten worst decisions the Royals could make in 2011.
- Lookout Landing muses about Michael Pineda and developing a pitch.
- U.S.S. Mariner breaks down the Mariners' Opening Day roster.
- Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness isn't sure that Jay Gibbons is the best use of a Dodgers' roster spot.
- The Yankee Analysts believes the Yankees should let C.C. Sabathia walk if he opts out of his contract after the season.
- Capitol Avenue Club wants to know where all the Braves' left-handers have gone.
- Bay City Ball thinks a platoon is the best way to replace Brian Wilson if the closer's oblique injury forces him to miss the start of the season.
- Camden Crazies tries to figure out who should bat leadoff if Brian Roberts keeps getting hurt.
- Wahoo Blues speculates about a Travis Hafner for Michael Young trade.
- Gaslamp Ball previews some potential milestones for the 2011 Padres.
- Replacement Level Baseball provides some Spring Training notes about Royals and Padres prospects.
- Amazin' Avenue asks which box score is the best.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.