Some Thursday night Quick Hits..
- Boston DFA'd Hideki Okajima tonight in order to clear a roster spot for Franklin Morales but GM Theo Epstein told WEEI's Alex Speier that he's hopeful that he'll fall through waivers if he's unable to find a trade partner for him.
- If Rays GM and Houston native Andrew Friedman is offered the Astros' GM job, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (video) says that he should stay put. While the Rays obviously don't have deep pockets, he points out that they have a tremendous farm system and a ton of draft picks this June. Meanwhile, Houston's farm system is barren and it will take them quite some time to bolster their big league roster. Rosenthal advises the young executive to instead wait for a job opening that could allow him to win right away.
- Speaking of Friedman, the Rays were trying to obtain Morales before the Red Sox landed him,tweets Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe.
- A scout told Abraham (via Twitter) that what Kevin Millwood exhibited in the minors for the Yankees "won't translate to majors very well." Millwood signed with the Red Sox earlier tonight.
- The Millwood signing reflects the Red Sox's concerns over pitching depth, tweets Rosenthal. Coincidentally, Josh Beckett exited tonight's game against the Tigers with neck tightness, though the team said it was for precautionary reasons.