Having lost 12 of their last 13 games, the A's are eight games back in the AL West. It's time to discuss their potential trade offerings.
- David DeJesus has been playing right field in recent years, but he has plenty of experience at the other outfield positions. At .239/.319/.373 in 236 plate appearances, his contract year has not gone as hoped. He did hit well in May. DeJesus is affordable at $6MM, and will appeal to any contender seeking a top of the order outfielder who bats left-handed. Our latest Elias rankings have DeJesus on the cusp of Type A status in the AL, but I'm not sure the A's would offer him arbitration.
- Second baseman Mark Ellis is on the DL with a strained right hamstring. His $6MM salary will be prohibitive unless he starts raking upon his return. With Jemile Weeks and Scott Sizemore joining Oakland's second base mix, shopping Ellis makes sense if he gets healthy.
- Left fielder Josh Willingham is another $6MM Athletic. At .235/.315/.423, he's having the worst year of his career as he heads toward free agency. Willingham is more firmly a Type A free agent than DeJesus, and given how the free agent market values power an arbitration offer seems more feasible for him. Willingham should be one of the better available right-handed bats.
- The A's could break up their entire starting outfield, as Coco Crisp ($5.75MM salary) is also an impending free agent. Like Willingham, Crisp is helping some fantasy teams offensively but is not getting on base thus far. Crisp's ability to play center field sets him apart. The Braves are often mentioned as a potential fit.
- Hideki Matsui might be tough to move, as a DH hitting .216/.268/.332. If he doesn't show signs of life over the next six weeks, a release is more likely than a trade.
- First baseman/outfielder Conor Jackson could be a complementary piece for someone if the A's assume part of his $3.2MM salary. Jackson can still get on base a little bit but his modest early-career power seems gone.
- Relievers are always a trade deadline hot commodity, and Oakland's pen has a 3.25 ERA despite their leading innings guy, Brian Fuentes, checking in at 4.71. The A's might have a chance to bail on Fuentes' contract, which pays $5MM next year. Their other big relief signing, Grant Balfour, has produced better results despite shaky control; he earns $4MM in 2012. Both relievers have club options for '13. Michael Wuertz, who has been excellent, has a club option for '12 and a more modest salary. The A's could also consider moving a pair of arbitration eligible relievers in Craig Breslow and Brad Ziegler.
- We've covered the Cubs, Padres, Pirates, Twins, and Astros as potential sellers previously.
White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Central Rumors: Tigers, Indians, Royals, Twins Shin-Soo Choo Talks Reaching Critical Stage Mets Exploring Ike Davis, Daniel Murphy Trades NL East Links: Izturis, Mets, Colon, Arroyo, O'Flaherty Brett Gardner Rumors: Monday Latest On Danny Espinosa Dodgers Notes: Kemp, Ethier, Tanaka, Uribe, Wright Chances Of Mark Trumbo Trade Increasing Marlins Notes: Morse, Bullpen, Webb, Third Base David Price Rumors: Monday AL East Notes: Rays, Red Sox, Napoli, Weber Orioles Rumors: Hammel, Santana, Floyd, Hanrahan Trade Involving Blue Jays, Rangers Fell Through Reliever Rumors: Balfour, Perez, Logan, O'Flaherty Cubs Interested In Storen, Clippard
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors