Having lost 12 of their last 13 games, the A's are eight games back in the AL West. It's time to discuss their potential trade offerings.
- David DeJesus has been playing right field in recent years, but he has plenty of experience at the other outfield positions. At .239/.319/.373 in 236 plate appearances, his contract year has not gone as hoped. He did hit well in May. DeJesus is affordable at $6MM, and will appeal to any contender seeking a top of the order outfielder who bats left-handed. Our latest Elias rankings have DeJesus on the cusp of Type A status in the AL, but I'm not sure the A's would offer him arbitration.
- Second baseman Mark Ellis is on the DL with a strained right hamstring. His $6MM salary will be prohibitive unless he starts raking upon his return. With Jemile Weeks and Scott Sizemore joining Oakland's second base mix, shopping Ellis makes sense if he gets healthy.
- Left fielder Josh Willingham is another $6MM Athletic. At .235/.315/.423, he's having the worst year of his career as he heads toward free agency. Willingham is more firmly a Type A free agent than DeJesus, and given how the free agent market values power an arbitration offer seems more feasible for him. Willingham should be one of the better available right-handed bats.
- The A's could break up their entire starting outfield, as Coco Crisp ($5.75MM salary) is also an impending free agent. Like Willingham, Crisp is helping some fantasy teams offensively but is not getting on base thus far. Crisp's ability to play center field sets him apart. The Braves are often mentioned as a potential fit.
- Hideki Matsui might be tough to move, as a DH hitting .216/.268/.332. If he doesn't show signs of life over the next six weeks, a release is more likely than a trade.
- First baseman/outfielder Conor Jackson could be a complementary piece for someone if the A's assume part of his $3.2MM salary. Jackson can still get on base a little bit but his modest early-career power seems gone.
- Relievers are always a trade deadline hot commodity, and Oakland's pen has a 3.25 ERA despite their leading innings guy, Brian Fuentes, checking in at 4.71. The A's might have a chance to bail on Fuentes' contract, which pays $5MM next year. Their other big relief signing, Grant Balfour, has produced better results despite shaky control; he earns $4MM in 2012. Both relievers have club options for '13. Michael Wuertz, who has been excellent, has a club option for '12 and a more modest salary. The A's could also consider moving a pair of arbitration eligible relievers in Craig Breslow and Brad Ziegler.
- We've covered the Cubs, Padres, Pirates, Twins, and Astros as potential sellers previously.
Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's East Notes: Red Sox, Mets, Jays Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Castellanos, Davis, Armstrong MLB Unlikely To Change Qualifying Offer Before 2016 Jose Bautista, Ervin Santana Leave Proformance Angels Outright John Hester, Robert Carson Ervin Santana Rumors: Saturday Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors