Two years ago today, the Phillies and Pedro Martinez finalized a one-year deal worth $1MM. The then-37-year-old Martinez made nine starts down the stretch for Philadelphia, posting a 3.63 ERA in 44 2/3 innings. He also made three playoff starts for the eventual NL Champs but hasn't pitched since, and it looks like he's finally heading towards official retirement.
Are this week's links as good as Pedro in his prime? Probably not. But they're still worth your time...
- Disciples of Uecker interviewed Brewers' prospect Jimmy Nelson.
- Amazin' Avenue says the Mets didn't wave the white flag by trading Francisco Rodriguez.
- Brotherly Glove explains how the K-Rod trade impacts the Phillies.
- Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness runs through buy, sell, and "other" scenarios for the Dodgers.
- Baseball Time In Arlington wonders if Derek Holland is becoming trade bait.
- DRays Bay explores the possibility of trading James Shields.
- U.S.S. Mariner tries to determine the trade value of Mariners that might be on the block.
- Royals Review revisited Dayton Moore's deadline trades as Royals GM.
- Splice Today thinks the Red Sox should extend Dustin Pedroia's contract.
- Clutch City Today wrote about the Astros selling high on Wandy Rodriguez.
- Beer Leaguer explains the problem(s) with trading Edwin Jackson.
- Feeling Dodger Blue wonders if Hiroki Kuroda's days with the Dodgers are numbered.
- The Friarhood listed some players the Padres should target in trades.
- Splashing Pumpkins believes Jamey Carroll should be a trade target for the Giants.
- Wahoo Blues wonders if the Indians could make a run at David DeJesus.
- The Yankees Analysts says the Yankees need to add a bat before the trade deadline.
- Blogging Mets thinks Mike Pelfrey could be a non-tender candidate.
- Cubs Den muses about Billy Beane becoming the next GM of the Cubs.
- Camden Chat wrote about what it means to be a fan of a bad team.
- Through The Fence Baseball wonders if the Pirates will be buyers at the trade deadline.
- Pirates Prospects posted a primer on the Pirates' needs and the prospects they could trade (preview, hitters, starters, relievers).
- Sports: A Game Of Inches proposed five changes to the Home Run Derby.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.