Nine years ago today, the Devil Rays signed Lou Piniella to a four-year contract and named him their manager. As compensation for hiring Piniella away from the Mariners, Tampa sent All-Star outfielder Randy Winn and minor leaguer Antonio Perez to Seattle. Another manager was traded just a few weeks ago, as the White Sox dealt Ozzie Guillen (and minor leaguer Ricardo Andres) to the Marlins for prospects Jhan Marinez and Osvaldo Martinez. At some point in the near future, the Cubs will officially send prospects to the Red Sox and Padres for front office executives Theo Epstein, Jed Hoyer, and Jason McLeod.
We're not going to require any compensation for these links; here's the best the baseball corner of the internet had to offer over the last week…
- Replacement Level Baseball interviewed Dan Hayes of The North County Times about the change in the Padres' front office.
- Boston Sports Then And Now introduced us to new Red Sox GM Ben Cherington.
- The Dugout Report says the Rangers are built to last.
- River Ave. Blues lists four things the Yankees could learn from the Rangers.
- MLB Reports wrote about the aftermath of John Lackey's Tommy John surgery.
- BoSox Injection doesn't think the Red Sox should trade Josh Beckett this offseason.
- Sports of Boston wonders which free agent pitcher the Red Sox should target.
- Lookout Landing muses about David Ortiz being a fit for the Mariners
- Sodo Mojo opines about the Mariners trading Felix Hernandez.
- Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness knows Clayton Kershaw is about to get expensive.
- Brotherly Glove looked back at Brad Lidge's contract with the Phillies.
- Capitol Avenue Club lays down some guidelines for the Braves' offseason.
- The Eddie Kranepool Society says the Mets should use Ruben Tejada at short and go after pitching instead of re-signing Jose Reyes.
- Rising Apple believes the Mets should make a run at Michael Wuertz.
- Through The Fence Baseball explains why the Padres should trade Chase Headley.
- Capitol Baseball makes a case against the Nationals signing Ryan Zimmerman to a contract extension.
- District On Deck looks back at the trade that brought Tyler Clippard to the Nationals.
- The Todd Van Poppel Rookie Card Retirement Plan says the Athletics should sell high on Guillermo Moscoso.
- Blogging Mets says teams should beware of Yu Darvish and high priced Japanese imports.
- Motor City Bengals says letting Placido Polanco walk after 2009 was the right move for the Tigers.
- Frisco Fastball wonders if Grady Sizemore is too much of a health risk for the Giants.
- Ol' Ball Game helps figure out what the Pirates should do to finish .500 next season.
- Rum Bunter posted some video of 2011 first overall pick Gerrit Cole from the Arizona Fall League.
- Call to the Pen put together a team of the best players to never play in the World Series.
- More Hardball compiled a team of the best minor league free agent signings from this season.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.