Here's a look back at some of the analysis and reporting MLBTR's writing team delivered this week..
- Seven years ago this week, the Tigers claimed Colby Lewis off of waivers from the Rangers, writes Mike Axisa. Lewis is set to start Game Three for Texas on Tuesday but was little more than a failed prospect back then.
- We asked MLBTR readers what they think Jorge Posada will do this offseason. 68% of you think that he'll retire, 24% say that he'll sign elsewhere, and just 9% see him coming back to the Yankees.
- With an aggressive approach in free agency and some successful midseason trades, GM Dave Dombrowski turned the the Tigers into a playoff team. Ben Nicholson-Smith took a look at how the Tigers acquired their newest additions.
- The MLBTR GM Candidate series continued with a look at Logan White, the Dodgers’ assistant GM of scouting.
- This week we kicked off the Offseason Outlook for the Twins, Mariners, Cubs, Marlins, and Astros.
- Mike Axisa rounded up the best baseball analysis from around the web in this week's edition of Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
- If you missed out on our weekly chat, you can check out the transcript right here.
- Service time could be a factor in whether or not Matt Moore is on the Rays to start the 2012 season, writes Ben Nicholson-Smith.
- Tim Dierkes checked in on the stock of free-agent-to-be Clint Barmes. If the Astros fail to sign Barmes, he could be a more affordable alternative for the Twins, Braves, Phillies, Brewers, Pirates, Cardinals, or Giants.
- The best in-season trade made by a playoff team was the Phillies' acquisition of Hunter Pence, according to 42% of MLBTR readers.
- In total, the Rangers obtained nine of the 25 players on their ALDS roster since last year.
- The prevailing opinion is that Yankees ace C.C. Sabathia will opt out of the remaining four years and $92MM remaining on his contract, since he could easily get more money or years. We asked you how much the lefty's next contract will be worth. Opinions were split but 1,372 MLBTR readers (18%) say that his next deal will be worth $121-130MM.
- The Padres, Cubs, and Nationals were profiled in our Arbitration Eligibles series.
- The fatal flaw with Theo Epstein's disappointing 2011 Red Sox club was starting pitching, which prompted Tim Dierkes to investigate his work assembling rotations.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith took a look at how baseball's newest $100MM players fared in 2011.
- Need a refresher on non-tenders? Don't worry, we got you covered.
- Before the season, MLBTR writers identified 13 players who were set for 'make or break' years. We checked in on them now that the regular season's over.
Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Ervin Santana's Representation Currently Unsettled NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West Yasiel Puig Switches Representation Ervin Santana Rumors: Thursday Offseason In Review: Miami Marlins Twins Notes: Mauer, Dozier, Parmelee, Pierzynski Out Of Options Players: AL Central Cardinals Nearing Extension With Matt Carpenter Phillies Notes: Hamels, Defensive Shifts Rosenthal's Latest: Masterson, Burns, Olt, Francisco White Sox Getting Calls On De Aza, Viciedo Quick Hits: Samardzija, Santana, Lester, Dodgers Teams Scouting David Phelps, Yankee Catchers
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors