The latest on free agent superstar Albert Pujols...
- Marlins people are saying they withdrew their offer to Pujols, not the other way around, tweets ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. Either way, the end result is the same: the Marlins are out.
- Bob Nightengale of USA Today confirms (via Twitter) the Marlins are no longer involved, but says Pujols still has three offers in excess of $200MM. It's hard to imagine which teams besides the Cardinals would be offering that much.
- Well, it looks like the Marlins won't sign every top free agent on the market. ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick hears that Dan Lozano has told the Marlins they're out of the running for Pujols, though there are still clubs involved besides the Cardinals (Twitter links).
- The Cardinals' offer currently on the table is for nine years, not ten, according to Buster Olney (via Twitter). Meanwhile, the Marlins aren't completely out on Pujols, but won't increase their offer, tweets MLB.com's Joe Frisaro.
- Pujols appears headed back to the Cardinals and the two sides are believed to be only a few million dollars apart on a ten-year deal, reports Bill Madden of the New York Daily News.
- The Marlins are moving on emotionally from the Pujols talks, tweets Buster Olney, though they haven't necessarily pulled their offer.
- Pujols' camp is attempted to extract every possible nickel in an offer from Miami so they can take that to the Cardinals, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney.
- The Marlins are still in on Pujols, tweets Bob Nightengale of USA Today. Angels GM Jerry Dipoto told reporters his focus has not been on Pujols.
- ESPN's Jerry Crasnick hears lots of buzz in Dallas that the Pujols decision is shifting in the Cardinals' direction.
- Pujols is likely heading back to the Cardinals, tweets Andy Martino of the New York Daily News. He says the Marlins are shifting their attention to Prince Fielder, while several others say they'll turn to pitching targets.
- A Cardinals source sees a good chance of a resolution one way or another today on Pujols, tweets Jon Paul Morosi. Buster Olney says there's a growing sense among some officials involved in the Pujols talks that he's staying with the Cardinals.
- The Cubs are still involved in the Pujols talks, tweets Ken Rosenthal, though the extent is unclear.
- The Marlins say they've made their final offer to Pujols, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, though an additional meeting with agent Dan Lozano remains possible.
- The Cardinals are meeting with Pujols' camp this morning, tweets MLB Network's Jon Heyman. Heyman believes the Marlins' ten-year offer is in the $200-220MM range.
- Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes that the Cardinals' newest offer to Pujols is believed to approach $220MM over 10 years. The Cards didn't place a deadline on their offer, and general manager John Mozeliak said this wouldn't necessarily be the club's final offer. Strauss is unsure if all 10 years are guaranteed, or if the tenth year involves some kind of option.
Tim Dierkes and Luke Adams contributed to this post.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Albert Pujols | Chicago Cubs | Miami Marlins | St. Louis Cardinals
Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez For Assignment Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Marlins Release David Aardsma Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel Cubs Extend Anthony Rizzo
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Draft Notes: Astros, Renfroe, Appel Central Notes: Twins, Reynolds, Gomes, Choo Minor Moves: Wilson, Beimel, Parraz, Velazquez, Bell East Notes: Braves, Mets, Ellsbury, Yankees West Notes: Chavez, Astros, Angels, Mattingly Rosenthal On Cubs, Brewers, Marlins Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins NL Notes: Stauffer, Phillies, Cubs, Hairston Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Quick Hits: Brignac, Mariners, Odorizzi Contract Extensions Changing The Free Agent Market Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL East Notes: Yankees, Orioles, Ishikawa
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors