At least 50 transactions were completed during the winter meetings this week, including 16 free agent signings, eight trades, three waiver claims, and 14 minor league signings. A total of eight first round picks were involved in those transactions, not including Jeremy Hermida and Andrew Miller, former first rounders who were designated for assignment by the Padres and re-signed by the Red Sox, respectively. Let’s recap the first rounders that changed addresses during the last five days…
- Ian Stewart, Casey Weathers & Tyler Colvin – Stewart was the 10th overall pick in 2003, Weathers the 8th overall pick in 2007, and Colvin the 13th overall pick in 2006. Stewart and Weathers were traded by the Rockies to the Cubs for Colvin and DJ LeMahieu.
- David Purcey – 16th overall in 2004, signed a minor league deal with the Phillies.
- Jarrod Parker – 9th overall in 2007, traded by the Diamondbacks with Ryan Cook and Collin Cowgill to the Athletics for Trevor Cahill and Craig Breslow.
- Nick Schmidt – 23rd overall pick in 2007, traded by the Padres to the Rockies for Huston Street. Street was the 40th overall pick in 2004, a compensation pick for Miguel Tejada.
- Ryan Perry – 21st overall pick in 2008, traded by the Tigers to the Nationals for Collin Balester.
- Sergio Santos – 27th overall in 2002, back when he was an infielder. The White Sox traded him to the Blue Jays for Nestor Molina.
Interestingly enough, three of the four largest contracts handed out this week were given to players selected in the 5th round (C.J. Wilson), 13th round (Albert Pujols), and 38th round (Mark Buehrle) of the draft. The lone exception is Jose Reyes, who signed with the Mets as an international free agent.