It's time to take a look back at the week that was..
- The Tigers officially agreed to sign free agent first baseman Prince Fielder to a nine-year, $214MM contract. The agreement has no opt-outs and will keep Fielder in the Motor City through his age 36 season for an average annual value of $23.78MM. Over the years, Tigers owner Mike Ilitch and GM Dave Dombrowski have dealt extensively with Scott Boras regarding clients such as Kenny Rogers, Ivan Rodriguez, Johnny Damon and Magglio Ordonez.
- The Rangers are set to meet with Roy Oswalt tomorrow morning, assuming he's still a free agent by then. The Cardinals were reportedly close to a deal with the veteran pitcher but those rumblings have been denied by GM John Mozeliak. There is "no chance" of Oswalt relieving in 2012, agent Bob Garber told Tim Dierkes.
- Free agent pitcher Edwin Jackson has multiple three-year offers. The Red Sox have made Jackson an offer and it's believed that he would take a one-year deal to play in Boston. The Orioles are in the mix and though it doesn't look like they'll offer a four-year deal, they could put a three-year contract with an option year on the table.
- The Giants and Tim Lincecum agreed to a two-year, $40.5MM contract extension, avoiding arbitration with the two-time Cy Young Award winner. The two-year deal buys out Lincecum's final two seasons of arbitration eligibility and avoids a potentially historic hearing. The right-hander will earn $18MM in 2012 and $22MM in 2013 to go along with a $500K signing bonus.
- The Blue Jays signed right-hander Brandon Morrow to a three-year, $20MM extension, the team announced. The deal includes a 2015 option for $10MM. Morrow will earn $4MM in 2012 and $8MM in 2013 and 2014. There's a $10MM option with a $1MM buyout in 2015 for a total guarantee of $21MM.
- The Red Sox signed outfielder Cody Ross to a one-year deal worth roughly $3MM plus incentives. Ross played all three outfield positions for the Giants last season and hit .240/.325/.405 line with 14 home runs in 461 plate appearances. The club designated right-hander Scott Atchison for assignment to make room for Ross.
- The Dodgers pushed hard for Prince Fielder for weeks and thought they had a legitimate chance of signing him by offering the slugger a seven-year deal.
- MLB has informed teams that Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes is now a free agent after recently gaining residency in the Dominican Republic.
- The Blue Jays agreed to sign right-handed reliever Francisco Cordero to a one-year, $4.5MM contract. Cordero, 36, posted a 2.45 ERA with 5.4 K/9, 2.8 BB/9 and a 50% ground ball rate in 69 2/3 innings for Cincinnati this past season.
- The Rockies and Rafael Betancourt agreed to a contract extension which guarantees Betancourt's $4.25MM mutual option for 2013 and adds an option at the same salary for 2014. He'll earn $4MM in 2012 as part of his current contract.
- The Phillies avoided arbitration with Hunter Pence, agreeing to a one-year, $10.4MM contract for 2012. The sides settled at the midpoint between Pence's request for $11.8MM and the Phillies' $9MM offer.
- The Yankees and Russell Martin avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year contract worth $7.5MM with $100K in performance bonuses.
- The Reds acquired infielder Wilson Valdez from the Phillies for left-hander Jeremy Horst. Horst will be in Major League Spring Training as a non-roster player.
- A possible deal to send Rangers reliever Koji Uehara to Toronto fell through when the reliever exercised his no-trade clause. Uehara is now said to be drawing trade interest from the Orioles.
- Juan Pierre signed a minor league deal with the Phillies that includes an invitation to Spring Training.
- On Friday, the Giants agreed to sign free agent infielder Ryan Theriot to a one-year deal worth $1.25MM with $750K in incentives.
- The Yankees have interest in Raul Ibanez. The veteran has drawn interest from a number of clubs, including the Mets and Tigers, in recent weeks.
- There are early indications that the Giants will have a decent or better chance to lock Matt Cain on another long-term deal.
- Free agent outfielder J.D. Drew is "very likely" to retire.
- The Blue Jays signed 44-year-old infielder Omar Vizquel to a minor league contract that contains an invitation to the Major League Spring Training camp.
- The Reds and reliever Jose Arredondo avoided arbitration by agreeing to terms on a two-year, $2MM contract.
- The Mariners signed Kevin Millwood to a minor league deal that includes an invitation to Spring Training.
- Jeff Keppinger signed a one-year, $1.525MM Major League deal with the Rays. In order to make room for the 31-year-old, the club designated Russ Canzler for assignment.
- The Orioles announced that they have signed Wilson Betemit to a two-year, Major League contract that includes a vesting option for 2014. Betemit's deal could be worth up to $6MM.
- Cuban left-hander Gerardo Concepcion, an 18-year-old free agent, is very close to signing with a team. According to his agent, Concepcion has drawn the most interest from the Rangers, White Sox, Cubs, and Yankees.
- The Indians placed Roberto Hernandez Heredia (better known as Fausto Carmona) on the restricted list. The move clears a spot on the team's 40-man roster, and Hernandez will not accrue service time or get paid until he reports.
- The Red Sox and Andrew Bailey avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $3.9MM deal that includes $100K in incentives.
- The Nationals agreed to sign free agent right-hander Brad Lidge to a one-year deal. Lidge will earn $1MM plus incentives.
- Corner outfielder Austin Kearns agreed to a minor league deal that includes an invitation to Spring Training.
- The Reds signed Willie Harris to a minor league deal. The 33-year-old can earn an $800K salary if he makes the Reds out of Spring Training.
- The Diamondbacks claimed catcher Craig Tatum off of waivers from the Astros. The 28-year-old backstop will provide the Diamondbacks with another option behind Miguel Montero and Henry Blanco.
- The White Sox signed left-hander Scott Olsen to a minor league contract with a 2013 team option.
- The Red Sox signed right-hander John Maine to a minor league contract.
- The Reds agreed to sign free agent left-hander Jeff Francis to a minor league deal.
- The Astros signed left-hander Zach Duke to a minor league contract that includes an invitation to Spring Training.
- The Indians inked reliever Dan Wheeler to a minor league contract.
- The Giants agreed to terms with reliever Clay Hensley on a Major League contract.
Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres To Release James Darnell Mets Acquire Eric Young For McHugh; Designate Cowgill Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck Diamondbacks Sign Braden Shipley Phillies Sign J.P. Crawford Orioles Designate Yamaico Navarro Mets Agree To Sign Dominic Smith Giants To Sign Christian Arroyo Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Mets To Promote Zack Wheeler Yankees To Sign Ian Clarkin Rays Promote Wil Myers Dodgers Claim John Baker Mariners Sign Henry Blanco; Designate Kelly Shoppach For Assignment Dodgers Designate Ramon Hernandez For Assignment
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Draft Signings: Gonsalves, Williams, Mondab, Hannemann Astros Notes: Appel, Free Agency Rockies To Remove Francis From Roster, Add Oswalt Braves Sign First-Rounder Jason Hursh Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres Request Release Waivers On James Darnell Astros To Sign Mark Appel Suspensions Likely In Biogenesis Case Quick Hits: Norris, Ethier, Blue Jays, Phillies Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr., Designate Collin Cowgill Draft Signings: Bohn, Salazar, Verbistky, Healy, Moll Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck For Assignment
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors