The past week was filled with notable releases and injury announcements, and also marked the beginning of Bryce Harper's major league career... let's run it down in this week's review:
- The Angels released Bobby Abreu and his $9MM salary. The move had a wide range of reactions and related news associated with it, and it's expected that he'll latch on with another team.
- Brandon Inge was released by the Tigers on Thursday after spending the first 12 seasons of his career in Detroit.
- Mike Pelfrey may have thrown his last pitch for the Mets, following the announcement this week that he'll undergo Tommy John surgery and miss the 2012 season.
- Brewers left-hander Chris Narveson is also done for the season. He'll undergo a shoulder operation that will sideline him until 2013. The Brewers have enough pitching depth for now but the injury could eventually lead them to search outside the organization.
- The Yankees were counting on Michael Pineda to be a stabilizing force in their rotation when they acquired him this offseason, but instead he's likely lost for the year after it was announced that he too will require a major shoulder operation.
- The Nationals started Bryce Harper's service clock this week when they recalled him from Triple-A and placed Ryan Zimmerman on the disabled list. Harper doubled and picked up his first big league RBI in his debut.
- Delmon Young was placed on the restricted list by the Tigers this week after an alcohol-related altercation in New York City.
- The Angels continue to monitor the trade market for relief help, but are only offering second-tier prospects while the majority of their suitors are more interested in Peter Bourjos.
- Bronson Arroyo has now accrued 10 full seasons of Major League service time and spent more than five years with the Reds, giving him 10-and-5 rights. He cannot be traded without his consent.
- Adam Jones hasn't heard from his agent or the Orioles about a contract extension recently, but isn't bothered by that. He told reporters that he'd have a hard time thinking about a long-term deal if he weren't signed by this time next year though, with his first crack at free agency coming up.
- The Rays are expected to sign Hideki Matsui, who has been working out in preparation for the 2012 season in New York.
- Scott Boras says that his client, Mike Gonzalez, is close to signing with a team. He should sign sometime this week, if Boras' timeline is correct.
- The Athletics claimed Luke Hughes off of waivers from the Twins in an effort to shore up a rocky third base situation.
- Dontrelle Willis will file a grievance against the Orioles after they placed him on the restricted list. Willis' agents at Sosnick and Cobbe said he was granted permission to leave the team, and were quite displeased with GM Dan Duquette.
- Jeremy Bonderman recently underwent elbow surgery and intends to pitch again in 2013.
- Lastly, there's a new version of MLBTR's iPhone app available for download. It'll cost just $2.99 to for you to check it out!
Tigers To Sign Joba Chamberlain Phillies To Sign Roberto Hernandez Giants To Sign Mike Morse Marlins, Cubs Swap Ruggiano For Bogusevic Mets To Sign Bartolo Colon Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Mets Notes: Axford, Gregg, Drew, Payroll Red Sox Designate Alex Castellanos AL West Notes: Rangers, Morrison, Veras, Astros Padres, Indians Competing For Joaquin Benoit Three Teams Have Two-Year Offers To Balfour Minor Moves: Andrew Werner, Manny Pina Orioles Acquire David Freitas To Complete Jim Johnson Trade Nationals Sign Nate McLouth Reds Interested In Omar Infante Nationals Designate Corey Brown For Assignment NL East Notes: Papelbon, Braves, Samardzija, Nats Yankees Offered Infante Three Years, $24MM Rangers Sign Lillibridge, Wilson, Kouzmanoff Tigers To Sign Joba Chamberlain Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors