Items out of the American League East..
- Jeremy Guthrie may be a potential fit for the injury-depleted Yankees after enjoying previous success in the AL East while with the Orioles, writes Troy Renck of The Denver Post.
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman says that he would prefer not to go outside of the organization to solve the team's rotation issues, tweets Jack Curry of the YES Network.
- Buster Olney of ESPN.com (via Twitter) also hears from sources that the Yankees will look to handle loss of Andy Pettitte and C.C. Sabathia from within using Freddy Garcia, Adam Warren, and David Phelps.
- Zach Stewart is used to moving around a lot after being a part of three major league trades in the last three years, writes Paul Kenyon of The Providence Journal. Stewart came to the Red Sox along with Brent Lillibridge in the Kevin Youkilis deal.
- The Red Sox signed third-round pick Austin Maddox for $350K, less than the pick value of $400K, according to Jim Callis of Baseball America. The right-hander out of Florida has a 92-96 mph fastball with a promising slider.