Links out of the NL Central..
- The Reds need a leadoff hitter, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports writes. Denard Span, Shane Victorino, Juan Pierre, David DeJesus and Coco Crisp could be among the options GM Walt Jocketty considers, Rosenthal suggests. Recently, MLBTR took a detailed look at the trade market for outfielders.
- Cardinals General Manager John Mozeliak said the club's initial focus was landing a starting pitcher but he has now "cast a little larger net to include relief pitching," writes Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- While skipper Dusty Baker is as feisty as ever, his future with the Reds is hazy, writes Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com. Baker is on the back end of a two-year extension that he signed with the club on the heels of his original three-year pact.
- New Astros owner Jim Crane held a Q-and-A session yesterday and Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle has the goods. Crane gave GM Jeff Luhnow a positive evaluation for the first half of the season and credited him for making quality trades with the future in mind.
- Brewers right-hander Tim Dillard has accepted his outright assignment to Triple-A, tweets club Media Relations Director Mike Vassallo. Dillard has a 4.38 ERA with 7.1 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9 in 37 innings for Milwaukee this season.