- GM Ruben Amaro told reporters he's more likely to land his center fielder through free agency than trade. Salisbury says Michael Bourn doesn't appear to fit the team's profile, while they're lukewarm on a Shane Victorino reunion. A corner player like Cody Ross could work.
- Amaro made a thinly-veiled reference to the one difference-maker on the market, understood to be Josh Hamilton. The GM skirted the question as to whether he is pursuing Hamilton. Salisbury considers it a long shot.
- Though the team has some interest in the major free agent center fielders, they're also eyeing Dexter Fowler and Peter Bourjos as potential trade targets. Bourjos is projected to start for the Halos, however. The Phillies and Rockies have discussed Fowler, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. He notes that the Rockies would want pitching in return.
- There has been some communication between the Phillies and Ichiro Suzuki's camp, though it's unclear who reached out.
- The Phillies have interest in the Rangers' Michael Young for third base, but they'd need Young to approve the trade and the Rangers to pick up part of the tab. Young, 36, is owed $16MM in 2013, though part of his salary is deferred.