The second day of the Winter Meetings brought more high profile action than the first (which I recapped here yesterday morning in case you missed it), so let's dive in…
- The most lucrative contract of the day went to Shane Victorino, who signed a three-year deal with the Red Sox worth $39MM.
- The Giants were able to retain Marco Scutaro, signing him to a three-year deal. Scutaro parlayed his Herculean performance down the stretch and in the playoffs into a cool $20MM.
- The Nationals landed Dan Haren on a one-year deal that will pay the former Angel $13MM.
- The Rays acquired Yunel Escobar from the Marlins in exchange for minor league infielder Derek Dietrich. The Marlins are reportedly hoping to re-invest Escobar's $5MM salary in finding a new third baseman.
- Earlier this week it looked like the Phillies would acquire Wilton Lopez, but in the end the Astros wound up trading their best reliever to the Rockies in exchange for Alex White and Alex Gillingham.
- The Diamondbacks signed veteran Eric Hinske to a one-year deal worth just over $1MM.
- The Giants will be keeping their leadership in place for at least the next two years, as they exercised 2014 options on both general manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy.
- The Dodgers and Rangers appear to be the final two teams battling it out for Zack Greinke, though one source told Jon Heyman of CBS Sports there's still a third team poking around. For the Rangers, their pursuit of Greinke has talks with Josh Hamilton on hold, as they can likely only sign one of the two superstars.
- Hamilton will reportedly give the Rangers the chance to match any offer another club makes before accepting it. The Rangers and Mariners are among the interested teams.
- Dollars are the holdup in extension talks between the Mets and R.A. Dickey, not years. The Mets don't want to trade Dickey for just one prospect either. A Royals official noted that the team will not trade Wil Myers for Dickey, but the team is still interested. Here's the latest on Dickey.
- Mariners fans didn't see an acquisition on Day 2, but Seattle was in numerous headlines. General manager Jack Zduriencik is interested in an extension that will make Felix Hernandez a Mariner for life, the team emerged as a surprise suitor for Michael Bourn and they're also nearing a deal with Jason Bay.
- On Day 1 we learned that Ryan Dempster is seeking a three-year contract, and on Day 2 it was revealed that he's seeking an annual payday of around $13MM. The Brewers, Angels and Red Sox were all linked to Dempster on Day 2.
- The Red Sox and Angels are both also showing interest in Kyle Lohse.
- What would the Winter Meetings be without the mystery team? We saw our first mystery team rumor emerge surrounding Anibal Sanchez. Six teams are reportedly in on Sanchez: the Tigers, Angels, Royals, Dodgers, Red Sox and of course, the mystery team.
- Surprisingly, the Marlins apparently won't be trading Ricky Nolasco, despite having cleaned house and despite Nolasco's reported desire to pitch elsewhere.
- Ryan Ludwick and the Reds are getting closer to a new contract, but Ludwick is still talking with other teams.
- Speaking of the Reds, they're also interested in signing Homer Bailey and Mat Latos to long-term deals this offseason. The team has already approached Bailey and will do so with Latos shortly.
- Jason Kubel now seems more likely to be dealt than Justin Upton, and the Mariners came calling on Kubel yesterday.
- The Indians met with the agent for Kevin Youkilis and are interested in making Youk their first baseman.
- The Yankees have most of Alex Rodriguez's contract insured, meaning they could potentially receive as much as 75-100 percent of the money back they'll lose due to his injury if he misses a full season.
- The Yankees have strong interest in Jeff Keppinger, whose price continues to rise as more suitors continue to emerge. Keppinger's price tag right now is likely at three years and $13MM+.
- The Rangers haven't been successful in making Mike Olt the centerpiece of a Justin Upton trade, but plenty of teams are calling on the highly touted young third baseman.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith appeared on the Rosters and Rumblings podcast with Jason Martinez of MLB Depth Charts to discuss the signings of Dan Haren, Joakim Soria, Angel Pagan and Shane Victorino as well as Mariners rumors and the middle infield market.