The second day of the Winter Meetings brought more high profile action than the first (which I recapped here yesterday morning in case you missed it), so let's dive in...
- The most lucrative contract of the day went to Shane Victorino, who signed a three-year deal with the Red Sox worth $39MM.
- The Giants were able to retain Marco Scutaro, signing him to a three-year deal. Scutaro parlayed his Herculean performance down the stretch and in the playoffs into a cool $20MM.
- The Nationals landed Dan Haren on a one-year deal that will pay the former Angel $13MM.
- The Rays acquired Yunel Escobar from the Marlins in exchange for minor league infielder Derek Dietrich. The Marlins are reportedly hoping to re-invest Escobar's $5MM salary in finding a new third baseman.
- Earlier this week it looked like the Phillies would acquire Wilton Lopez, but in the end the Astros wound up trading their best reliever to the Rockies in exchange for Alex White and Alex Gillingham.
- The Diamondbacks signed veteran Eric Hinske to a one-year deal worth just over $1MM.
- The Giants will be keeping their leadership in place for at least the next two years, as they exercised 2014 options on both general manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy.
- The Dodgers and Rangers appear to be the final two teams battling it out for Zack Greinke, though one source told Jon Heyman of CBS Sports there's still a third team poking around. For the Rangers, their pursuit of Greinke has talks with Josh Hamilton on hold, as they can likely only sign one of the two superstars.
- Hamilton will reportedly give the Rangers the chance to match any offer another club makes before accepting it. The Rangers and Mariners are among the interested teams.
- Dollars are the holdup in extension talks between the Mets and R.A. Dickey, not years. The Mets don't want to trade Dickey for just one prospect either. A Royals official noted that the team will not trade Wil Myers for Dickey, but the team is still interested. Here's the latest on Dickey.
- Mariners fans didn't see an acquisition on Day 2, but Seattle was in numerous headlines. General manager Jack Zduriencik is interested in an extension that will make Felix Hernandez a Mariner for life, the team emerged as a surprise suitor for Michael Bourn and they're also nearing a deal with Jason Bay.
- On Day 1 we learned that Ryan Dempster is seeking a three-year contract, and on Day 2 it was revealed that he's seeking an annual payday of around $13MM. The Brewers, Angels and Red Sox were all linked to Dempster on Day 2.
- The Red Sox and Angels are both also showing interest in Kyle Lohse.
- What would the Winter Meetings be without the mystery team? We saw our first mystery team rumor emerge surrounding Anibal Sanchez. Six teams are reportedly in on Sanchez: the Tigers, Angels, Royals, Dodgers, Red Sox and of course, the mystery team.
- Surprisingly, the Marlins apparently won't be trading Ricky Nolasco, despite having cleaned house and despite Nolasco's reported desire to pitch elsewhere.
- Ryan Ludwick and the Reds are getting closer to a new contract, but Ludwick is still talking with other teams.
- Speaking of the Reds, they're also interested in signing Homer Bailey and Mat Latos to long-term deals this offseason. The team has already approached Bailey and will do so with Latos shortly.
- Jason Kubel now seems more likely to be dealt than Justin Upton, and the Mariners came calling on Kubel yesterday.
- The Indians met with the agent for Kevin Youkilis and are interested in making Youk their first baseman.
- The Yankees have most of Alex Rodriguez's contract insured, meaning they could potentially receive as much as 75-100 percent of the money back they'll lose due to his injury if he misses a full season.
- The Yankees have strong interest in Jeff Keppinger, whose price continues to rise as more suitors continue to emerge. Keppinger's price tag right now is likely at three years and $13MM+.
- The Rangers haven't been successful in making Mike Olt the centerpiece of a Justin Upton trade, but plenty of teams are calling on the highly touted young third baseman.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith appeared on the Rosters and Rumblings podcast with Jason Martinez of MLB Depth Charts to discuss the signings of Dan Haren, Joakim Soria, Angel Pagan and Shane Victorino as well as Mariners rumors and the middle infield market.
Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros To Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Red Sox Links: Mujica, Payroll, Drew Notes On Granderson, Beltran, Napoli Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Minor Moves: Thames, Tekotte, McDade Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Indians Notes: Albers, Carson, Antonetti Market Reset: 2013-14 Free Agent Spending To Date Orioles Notes: Free Agents, Johnson, Wolf, Feldman Phillies Shopping Jonathan Papelbon Reaction & Analysis Of Robinson Cano's Contract Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Marlins Exploring Morrison Trades; Interested In Garrett Jones Yankees Sign Kelly Johnson Scott Feldman On Signing With Astros
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors