Here's the top news and stories that made headlines this past week at MLBTR...
- The Rangers agreed to a five-year, $55MM extension with Matt Harrison. The contract contains an team option for a sixth year in 2018 that can become a vesting option if Harrison pitches certain innings plateaus.
- The Nationals agreed to sign free agent closer Rafael Soriano to a two-year, $28MM contract. Soriano posted a 2.26 ERA with 9.2 K/9, 3.2 BB/9 and a 35.9% ground ball rate for the Yankees this past season.
- The Red Sox and Mike Napoli reached an agreement on a new contract. Napoli gets $5MM plus incentives for the one-year deal that could reach $13MM.
- The Mariners, Nationals and Athletics combined on a three-team trade that will send Michael Morse to the Mariners, John Jaso to the A's and a three-player package to the Nationals that includes minor league right-handers A.J. Cole, Blake Treinen and a player to be named from the Athletics.
- The Diamondbacks agreed to sign J.J. Putz to a one-year extension that will keep him in Arizona through 2014.The LSW Baseball client will reportedly receive a $7MM salary in 2014.
- The Pirates agreed to sign right-hander Jeff Karstens to a one-year deal worth $2.5MM.
- The Athletics designated catcher George Kottaras for assignment. The move was made to free up 40-man roster space for the newly-acquired John Jaso, who will take Kottaras' spot as Oakland's primary left-handed hitting catching option.
- The Yankees and Phil Hughes avoided arbitration with a one-year contract worth $7.15MM. The right-hander was arbitration eligible for the third and final time after earning $3.2MM in 2012.
- The Orioles announced extensions for manager Buck Showalter and executive VP of baseball operations Dan Duquette through the 2018 season.
- The Athletics signed manager Bob Melvin to a two-year contract extension, the team announced. The deal will keep the reigning AL Manager of the Year in Oakland through 2016.
- The Rockies signed Miguel Batista to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training. Batista, 41, posted a 4.61 ERA with 6.2 K/9 and 5.6 BB/9 in 52 2/3 innings for the Mets and Braves last season.
- The White Sox agreed to sign Matt Lindstrom to a one-year contract with a club option. Lindstrom, 32, pitched to a 2.68 ERA with 7.7 K/9 and 2.7 BB/9 in 47 innings for the Orioles and Diamondbacks last season.
- The Indians signed Ryan Raburn to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training. Raburn averaged 15 home runs per season from 2009-11 and owns a career batting line of .256/.311/.430.
- The Red Sox reached agreement with Craig Breslow on a two-year deal to avoid arbitration. In 63 relief outings for Arizona and Boston last year, Breslow posted a 2.70 ERA with 8.7 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9.
- The Pirates and Garrett Jones avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year contract worth $4.5MM. The left-handed hitter posted a .289/.332/.556 line with 25 homers against right-handers in 2012.
- Many players avoided arbitration by coming to an agreement with their respective teams. MLBTR's Arbitration Tracker has a complete list of those who signed.
- The Angels avoided arbitration with Jason Vargas as the CAA Sports client will earn $8.5MM in 2013.
- The Red Sox and Joel Hanrahan avoided arbitration with a one-year deal worth $7.04MM. The 31-year-old had been arbitraiton eligible for the third and final time.
- The Giants and Buster Posey avoided arbitration with a one-year, $8MM contract. Posey was arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason.
- The Diamondbacks avoided arbitration with starting pitcher Ian Kennedy, signing him to a one-year, $4.265MM deal.
- The Tigers avoided arbitration with Rick Porcello, agreeing to a one-year deal. The right-hander will earn $5.1MM in 2013.
- The Giants avoided arbitration with Hunter Pence, agreeing to a one-year, $13.8MM contract for 2013.
- The Orioles avoided arbitration with Matt Wieters. The Scott Boras client obtained a $5.5MM contract for 2013.
- The Indians avoided arbitration with Chris Perez as he will earn $7.3MM plus bonuses in 2013.
- The Cubs avoided arbitration with Matt Garza by agreeing to a one-year, $10.25MM deal. In 2012, Garza posted a 3.91 ERA with 8.3 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 in 18 starts.
- The Brewers reached agreement with Carlos Gomez on a one-year deal for $4.3MM to avoid arbitration. The outfielder had his best season to date in 2012, posting a slash line of .260/.305/.463 with 19 homers in 452 plate appearances.
- The Pirates signed outfielder Brad Hawpe and catcher Lucas May to minor league deals. Both players receive invitations to MLB Spring Training.
- The Red Sox avoided arbitration with catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The Munsey Sports Management client obtains a one-year, $4.5MM deal for 2013.
- The Blue Jays avoided arbitration with center fielder Colby Rasmus, agreeing to a one-year, $4.675MM deal.
- The Marlins signed Austin Kearns to a minor league deal with an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Tigers signed Don Kelly to a minor league deal with an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Phillies signed right-hander Juan Cruz to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings MLBTR Chat Transcript Blue Jays Designate Marcus Walden, Outright Jeremy Jeffress Padres Offered Headley Three Years, $33-39MM In Offseason AL Central Notes: White Sox, Abreu, Dozier, Cabrera AL West Notes: Pujols, Elias, Mariners' Payroll, Astros Agent Says D'Backs Should Promote Archie Bradley Rays' Matt Moore To Undergo Tommy John Surgery
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors