Here's the top news and stories that made headlines this past week at MLBTR...
- The Rangers agreed to a five-year, $55MM extension with Matt Harrison. The contract contains an team option for a sixth year in 2018 that can become a vesting option if Harrison pitches certain innings plateaus.
- The Nationals agreed to sign free agent closer Rafael Soriano to a two-year, $28MM contract. Soriano posted a 2.26 ERA with 9.2 K/9, 3.2 BB/9 and a 35.9% ground ball rate for the Yankees this past season.
- The Red Sox and Mike Napoli reached an agreement on a new contract. Napoli gets $5MM plus incentives for the one-year deal that could reach $13MM.
- The Mariners, Nationals and Athletics combined on a three-team trade that will send Michael Morse to the Mariners, John Jaso to the A's and a three-player package to the Nationals that includes minor league right-handers A.J. Cole, Blake Treinen and a player to be named from the Athletics.
- The Diamondbacks agreed to sign J.J. Putz to a one-year extension that will keep him in Arizona through 2014.The LSW Baseball client will reportedly receive a $7MM salary in 2014.
- The Pirates agreed to sign right-hander Jeff Karstens to a one-year deal worth $2.5MM.
- The Athletics designated catcher George Kottaras for assignment. The move was made to free up 40-man roster space for the newly-acquired John Jaso, who will take Kottaras' spot as Oakland's primary left-handed hitting catching option.
- The Yankees and Phil Hughes avoided arbitration with a one-year contract worth $7.15MM. The right-hander was arbitration eligible for the third and final time after earning $3.2MM in 2012.
- The Orioles announced extensions for manager Buck Showalter and executive VP of baseball operations Dan Duquette through the 2018 season.
- The Athletics signed manager Bob Melvin to a two-year contract extension, the team announced. The deal will keep the reigning AL Manager of the Year in Oakland through 2016.
- The Rockies signed Miguel Batista to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training. Batista, 41, posted a 4.61 ERA with 6.2 K/9 and 5.6 BB/9 in 52 2/3 innings for the Mets and Braves last season.
- The White Sox agreed to sign Matt Lindstrom to a one-year contract with a club option. Lindstrom, 32, pitched to a 2.68 ERA with 7.7 K/9 and 2.7 BB/9 in 47 innings for the Orioles and Diamondbacks last season.
- The Indians signed Ryan Raburn to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training. Raburn averaged 15 home runs per season from 2009-11 and owns a career batting line of .256/.311/.430.
- The Red Sox reached agreement with Craig Breslow on a two-year deal to avoid arbitration. In 63 relief outings for Arizona and Boston last year, Breslow posted a 2.70 ERA with 8.7 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9.
- The Pirates and Garrett Jones avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year contract worth $4.5MM. The left-handed hitter posted a .289/.332/.556 line with 25 homers against right-handers in 2012.
- Many players avoided arbitration by coming to an agreement with their respective teams. MLBTR's Arbitration Tracker has a complete list of those who signed.
- The Angels avoided arbitration with Jason Vargas as the CAA Sports client will earn $8.5MM in 2013.
- The Red Sox and Joel Hanrahan avoided arbitration with a one-year deal worth $7.04MM. The 31-year-old had been arbitraiton eligible for the third and final time.
- The Giants and Buster Posey avoided arbitration with a one-year, $8MM contract. Posey was arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason.
- The Diamondbacks avoided arbitration with starting pitcher Ian Kennedy, signing him to a one-year, $4.265MM deal.
- The Tigers avoided arbitration with Rick Porcello, agreeing to a one-year deal. The right-hander will earn $5.1MM in 2013.
- The Giants avoided arbitration with Hunter Pence, agreeing to a one-year, $13.8MM contract for 2013.
- The Orioles avoided arbitration with Matt Wieters. The Scott Boras client obtained a $5.5MM contract for 2013.
- The Indians avoided arbitration with Chris Perez as he will earn $7.3MM plus bonuses in 2013.
- The Cubs avoided arbitration with Matt Garza by agreeing to a one-year, $10.25MM deal. In 2012, Garza posted a 3.91 ERA with 8.3 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 in 18 starts.
- The Brewers reached agreement with Carlos Gomez on a one-year deal for $4.3MM to avoid arbitration. The outfielder had his best season to date in 2012, posting a slash line of .260/.305/.463 with 19 homers in 452 plate appearances.
- The Pirates signed outfielder Brad Hawpe and catcher Lucas May to minor league deals. Both players receive invitations to MLB Spring Training.
- The Red Sox avoided arbitration with catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The Munsey Sports Management client obtains a one-year, $4.5MM deal for 2013.
- The Blue Jays avoided arbitration with center fielder Colby Rasmus, agreeing to a one-year, $4.675MM deal.
- The Marlins signed Austin Kearns to a minor league deal with an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Tigers signed Don Kelly to a minor league deal with an invitation to MLB Spring Training.
- The Phillies signed right-hander Juan Cruz to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training.
Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Beltran, D'Backs, Montero, Draft, Cashner AL Central Links: Indians, Moore, Schneider NL East Notes: Utley, Amaro, Rizzo, Braves Managerial Notes: Mattingly, Nationals, Roenicke Mets Links: Davis, Wheeler, Bargain Signings Dodgers Notes: Ethier, Mattingly, Puig, Pederson Red Sox Sign Rafael Perez Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment White Sox Place Angel Sanchez On Waivers Jocketty Discusses Choo Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Cherington On Ellsbury, Masterson, Theo Rangers Sign Mark Teahen, Waive Derek Lowe Mariners To Demote Jesus Montero Prospect Rumor Roundup: Talking Twins
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors