Catcher Brian McCann will join the Braves tonight in Cincinnati to make his season debut against the Reds. The 29-year-old missed the first month and change of the 2013 season following August shoulder surgery last year. It's a big year for McCann, who will be eligible for free agency after the season. Six other impending free agents project to make their season debuts this month: Corey Hart, Matt Garza, Curtis Granderson, Colby Lewis, Francisco Liriano, and Frank Francisco. After beginning with all that positive news, here's a look at 2014 free agents currently on the shelf:
- Roy Halladay is likely to hit the DL for a shoulder ailment that dates back to April 24th, which he says is different from last year's malady. The Phillies' righty will fly to Los Angeles this week to be examined by Dr. Lewis Yocum. Halladay, 36 this month, has an 8.65 ERA in 34 1/3 innings and seems likely to sign a one-year deal in the offseason.
- The Blue Jays' Josh Johnson is on the DL with triceps soreness, and we haven't heard anything about his timetable. JJ is headed further downward on our 2014 Free Agents Power Rankings, while Halladay is out of the top ten.
- White Sox righty Gavin Floyd has an appointment this morning with orthopedic surgeon David Altcheck, notes Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times. Tommy John surgery is a strong possibility for Floyd, who would then project to miss at least the first month of the 2014 season under his new contract.
- Speaking of free agents signed coming off Tommy John surgery, the Cubs' Scott Baker resumed his throwing program a week ago. Baker has had some setbacks after the April 2012 procedure.
- Oakland's Coco Crisp had an amazing start to the season, but hasn't played 140 games in a season since '07. He's on the DL with a strained hamstring. That's the same injury affecting Baltimore's Brian Roberts.
- Aside from Granderson, the Yankees have future free agents Derek Jeter, Kevin Youkilis, and Joba Chamberlain on the DL. Jeter, who fractured his ankle last year, will not reveal his target date for his season debut, but the team expects him out until after the All-Star break. Jeter will face a $9.5MM player option after the season with a $3MM buyout. Youkilis has a lumbar spine strain, while Chamberlain strained his right oblique.
- The Mets' Johan Santana is out for the season with shoulder surgery, while the Cardinals can't count on Rafael Furcal (Tommy John) or Chris Carpenter (thoracic outlet syndrome) this year. The Orioles' Tsuyoshi Wada signed a two-year, $8.14MM deal in December 2011, but had Tommy John surgery in May 2012 and has yet to make his big league debut.
- Dodgers starters Chris Capuano (strained left calf) and Ted Lilly (strained rib cage muscle) both reside on the DL, at a time when they actually had an opportunity to be in the rotation.
- The Indians' Brett Myers is weeks away from a return to action after suffering elbow inflammation. Oakland's Chris Young is battling a strained left quad, while the Tigers' Octavio Dotel has elbow inflammation.