A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR the past seven days:
- The week was highlighted by the Prince Fielder-Ian Kinsler blockbuster. MLBTR's coverage began with Rangers GM Jon Daniels telling Zach Links the deal came together in a matter of hours. Zach also spoke with Tigers President/CEO/GM Dave Dombrowksi, who said the trade makes a Max Scherzer extension "more possible going forward."
- Tim Dierkes opined the Tigers and Rangers will each reap benefits from the swap while Jeff Todd addressed its impact on both the trade and free agent markets.
- Tim sees the Yankees' agreement with Brian McCann (#4 on MLBTR's 2014 Top 50 Free Agents list) as a major upgrade and a sign the team isn't putting their offseason plan on hold while they negotiate with Robinson Cano.
- Tim suggests few saw Jhonny Peralta's (#21) four-year, $53MM contract coming and Stephen Drew (#14) should do better even though he's down a suitor and tied to draft pick compensation.
- Tim believes the Phillies paid an acceptable premium to retain catcher Carlos Ruiz (#29) while the Padres obtained a low-risk, high-reward hurler in Josh Johnson (#30).
- Steve Adams argues the Giants' gamble on Tim Hudson (#31) is worthwhile considering the right-hander's market value compared to the other inconsistent options available.
- Steve isn't as bullish about the Royals' signing of Jason Vargas (#35) because there's little room for upside and four years is an overpay in length of contract.
- Steve profiled MLBTR's top-ranked free agent, Robinson Cano.
- Free agent second baseman Omar Infante (#19) is a good fit for the Yankees, according to Tim.
- Tim was the first to report the incentives in Josh Johnson's contract ($1.25MM for making 26 starts), the Pirates were the runners-up for his services, and the other finalists were all NL teams.
- MLBTR was the first to learn Roy Oswalt plans on pitching in 2014, intends to sign this offseason so as to fully participate in Spring Training, and is open to a late-inning relief role.
- Tim broke the news of the Dodgers signing infielder Brendan Harris to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training.
- Tim heard multiple teams are interested in right-handed reliever Matt Albers with a two-year deal a possibility and learned catcher Henry Blanco wants to play one more season.
- Rex Gary, the agent for Shaun Marcum, told MLBTR the right-hander's recovery from thoracic outlet syndrome is progressing well and will participate in his normal offseason throwing program.
- Mike Moye, the agent for Gavin Floyd, updated MLBTR on the right-hander's rehab from elbow surgery.
- Ibrahim Rojas of CMHS Radio Caibarién told MLBTR a trio of Cuban players (19-year-old pitcher Javier Gonzalez, 22-year-old pitcher Jorge Hernandez, and 25-year-old outfielder Dayron Varona) have left their island homeland.
- MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz detailed the arbitration case of Orioles closer Jim Johnson.
- Steve hosted this week's live chat.
- Zach assembled the best of the baseball blogosphere for you in Baseball Blogs Weigh In.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Notes: Kipnis, Sizemore, Mulder Ervin Santana Rumors: Tuesday NL Notes: Taveras, Stutes, Flores, Cervelli Minor Moves: Rodriguez, Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Offseason In Review: Chicago White Sox Out Of Options Players: NL East MLBTR Chat Transcript Orioles Notes: Machado, Extensions, Santana, Schoop Kris Medlen Believed To Have Ligament Damage Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors