33 players from MLBTR's Top 50 Free Agents list have signed, and with ample time remaining in the offseason, regulars are difficult to come by at most positions. Let's take a closer look.
- At catcher, Brian McCann, Carlos Ruiz, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, A.J. Pierzynski, and Dioner Navarro have found homes with contracts worth at least $8MM. Additionally, the Rangers have assembled their tandem behind the dish by re-signing Geovany Soto and adding J.P. Arencibia. No starting catchers remain in free agency. Cuban catcher Yenier Bello will likely become a free agent soon, but it's unclear whether any teams view him as a potential regular.
- At first base, Jose Abreu, Mike Napoli, James Loney, Justin Morneau, Garrett Jones, and Corey Hart have signed. The key remaining free agent here is Kendrys Morales, who has draft pick compensation attached and has not played 500 innings at first base since 2009. Though the draft pick may continue to scare teams off, there is certainly a price at which some should be willing to surrender one to sign Morales. The idea of the Scott Boras client as a regular first baseman is dicey, though. Players like Kevin Youkilis, Mark Reynolds, Michael Young, and Casey McGehee are imperfect solutions as regular first basemen, but they at least merit consideration.
- At second base, Robinson Cano, Omar Infante, Alexander Guerrero, Rafael Furcal, and Mark Ellis are off the board, as well as Kelly Johnson, Willie Bloomquist, Skip Schumaker, and Nick Punto. 36-year-old Brian Roberts looks like the closest thing to a regular on the free agent market, and he hasn't played 80 games since '09.
- At shortstop, Derek Jeter never reached free agency, and the Cardinals signed Jhonny Peralta for $53MM. Another Boras client with draft pick compensation attached, Stephen Drew, remains unsigned. If Morales and Drew wind up with disappointing contracts, expect Boras to ramp up his public disgust with the qualifying offer system. One wild card at shortstop is Cuban Aledmys Diaz, who will be eligible to sign as of February 19th. Another Cuban name to watch is the defensive-minded Erisbel Arruebarruena.
- At third base, Juan Uribe resembled a regular, and he has re-signed with the Dodgers. Young might be considered a possible regular at third base after tallying almost 900 innings there in 2013. McGehee, Youkilis, and Reynolds could be options for some teams to play semi-regularly at the hot corner, as well as Eric Chavez.
- We won't list all the corner outfielders who have signed, but teams seeking a starter in right or left field do have options in free agency. Shin-Soo Choo and Nelson Cruz are still looking for homes and are viewed as difference-makers. Raul Ibanez hit 29 home runs and played over 800 innings in left field, so he might be viewed as a regular corner option by some teams.
- Top center field option Jacoby Ellsbury has signed. While Choo played center in 2013, most teams view him as a corner guy. A healthy Franklin Gutierrez could re-emerge as a regular in center field, but that seems like a long shot.
- Among DH options, we have Morales and Ibanez. We heard last month Lance Berkman is leaning toward retirement, though nothing is official.
- In terms of clear regulars, the current free agent market features just five players: one shortstop in Drew, two corner outfielders in Choo and Cruz, and two DH options in Morales and Ibanez.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors