Weekly email list
- Cubs To Release Phil Coke
- Alberto Callaspo Rejects Trade To Dodgers
- Braves Working On Alberto Callaspo Trade
- Orioles Agree To Deal With Ariel Miranda
- Right-Hander Norge Ruiz Leaves Cuba, Will Seek Deal With MLB Club
- Smyly Will Not Have Surgery, Is Confident He Can Pitch In 2015
- Hyun-jin Ryu Undergoes Season-Ending Shoulder Surgery
- 2016 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Hyun-jin Ryu To Undergo Shoulder Surgery
- Mariners Acquire Welington Castillo From Cubs For Yoervis Medina
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Cubs To Release Phil Coke
- NL Central Notes: Cueto, Gonzales, Schwarber, Baez
- Minor Moves: Brett Hayes, Cole Garner
- Casey McGehee Accepts Minor League Assignment, Remains On 40-Man Roster
- AL Notes: Navarro, Doolittle, DeShields
- Alberto Callaspo Rejects Trade To Dodgers
- MLBTR Chat Transcript
- Orioles Designate Ryan Lavarnway
- NL East Notes: Butler, Amaro, Mets, Nieuwenhuis
- AL East Notes: Loney, Bautista, Sandoval, Kelly, Bundy
- Braves Working On Alberto Callaspo Trade
- Doosan Bears To Acquire Deibinson Romero
- NL Notes: Liz, Urena, Anderson
- NL West Notes: Dodgers, Gaudin, JJ, Morrow, Myers
- Free Agent Stock Watch: Howie Kendrick
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Bobby Korecky Rumors
Here are today’s minor moves from around the league, via Baseball America’s Matt Eddy on Twitter.
- The Mets have released Juan Urbina, reports Baseball America’s Matt Eddy (via Twitter). In five years with the Mets, the 21-year-old left-handed pitcher failed to pass Low-A ball. While he generally posted strong strikeout rates in limited work, he walked nearly the same number of hitters. The once-prospect signed for $1.2MM in 2009 and is the son of former big leaguer Ugueth Urbina.
- The Phillies have signed outfielders Brian Bogusevic and Darin Mastroianni to minor league deals. Bogusevic last appeared in the big leagues in 2013 and spent last season hitting .260/.349/.411 in 311 plate appearances for Triple-A New Orleans in the Marlins system. Mastroianni appeared briefly for the Twins and Blue Jays in 2014 but spent most of the season with Triple-A Buffalo, hitting .267/.349/.369 in 393 plate appearances.
- The Blue Jays have re-signed righty Bobby Korecky. The 35-year-old had a strong season in the Buffalo bullpen, posting a 1.97 ERA with 8.4 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9 in 64 innings.
- The Athletics have signed righty Kevin Whelan, who briefly appeared with the Tigers in 2014 and a 2.70 ERA with 11.2 K/9 and 4.4 BB/9 in 43 1/3 innings with Triple-A Toledo.
- The Royals have signed 24-year-old corner infielder Balbino Fuenmayor, who hit .347/.383/.610 in 413 plate appearances with Quebec in the Canadian-American Association, earning BA’s Indy League Player Of The Year award. The Blue Jays released Fuenmayor in 2013.
- Cubs outfielder Ryan Kalish, White Sox outfielder Michael Taylor and Phillies shortstop Andres Blanco have all elected free agency. All three players were recently outrighted.
- The Tigers have re-signed third baseman Mike Hessman. The 36-year-old Hessman has gotten few chances in the big leagues, but he’s still a feared slugger in the International League, where he hit 28 home runs and batted .248/.330/.500 in 2014. The veteran has 417 career minor league home runs, including 307 at the Triple-A level.
Here are the latest minor moves from around the game.
- 1B Daric Barton (Athletics), OF Tyler Colvin (Giants), OF Justin Maxwell (Royals), SP Jair Jurrjens (Rockies), RP Wilton Lopez (Rockies) and R Troy Patton (Padres) have all elected free agency, Baseball America’s Matt Eddy tweets.
- Seven former Blue Jays have elected free agency, Eddy tweets. Among them is first baseman Dan Johnson, who the Jays outrighted earlier this week. Johnson collected 48 plate appearances in Toronto this season, but spent most of the year with Triple-A Buffalo, hitting .232/.381/.434 in 459 plate appearances there. The others who elected free agency are shortstop Jonathan Diaz, outfielders Cole Gillespie and Darin Mastroianni, and pitchers Bobby Korecky, Brad Mills and Raul Valdes.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Bobby Korecky | Brad Mills | Cole Gillespie | Colorado Rockies | Dan Johnson | Daric Barton | Darin Mastroianni | Jair Jurrjens | Jonathan Diaz | Justin Maxwell | Kansas City Royals | Oakland Athletics | Raul Valdes | San Diego Padres | San Francisco Giants | Toronto Blue Jays | Transactions | Troy Patton | Tyler Colvin | Wilton Lopez
Here are today’s minor league transactions, with the latest moves at the top of the post…
- The Orioles have released pitcher Tim Alderson, David Hall of the Virginian Pilot tweets. The Giants traded Alderson, a 2007 first-round pick and former top prospect, to the Pirates for Freddy Sanchez in 2009, and the Bucs traded him to the Orioles for Russ Canzler last year. In 50 innings for Triple-A Norfolk this season, Alderson had a 6.12 ERA with 6.7 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9.
- The Cardinals have outrighted outfielder Mike O’Neill after designating him for assignment Friday, MLB Daily Dish’s Chris Cotillo tweets. O’Neill, 26, has hit .258/.343/.341 in 320 plate appearances this season for Double-A Springfield.
- Pitcher Chien-Ming Wang has opted out of his deal with the Reds, the Cincinnati Enquirer’s John Fay tweets. Wang pitched 119 1/3 innings for Triple-A Louisville, posting a 3.70 ERA with 3.8 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9. He last appeared in the big leagues last season with the Blue Jays.
- The Yankees have announced they have outrighted right-hander Jim Miller to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Miller was designated for assignment Friday.
- Randy Wolf has cleared out his locker and has left the Orioles‘ Triple-A team, tweets David Hall of the Virginian-Pilot. Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com tweeted Wolf opted out of his contract. The 37-year-old appeared in six games for Norfolk, including one start, and posted a 4.20 ERA with a 12-to-5 K-BB ratio in 15 innings.
- Blue Jays right-hander Bobby Korecky has cleared waivers and been assigned to Triple-A Buffalo, the club announced (hat tip to Sportsnet’s Ben Nicholson-Smith). Korecky was designated for assignment on Friday. The righty posted an 8.10 ERA over 3 1/3 relief innings for Toronto this season in his first taste of Major League action since a one-game cup of coffee in 2012.
- The White Sox have released right-hander Henry Rodriguez, the team announced. Rodriguez just recently signed a minor league deal with the Sox but posted a 21.60 ERA, three strikeouts and a whopping eight walks over 1 2/3 innings with Triple-A Charlotte. That lack of control has been the story of Rodriguez’s career, as the righty has recorded a 6.4 BB/9 over 150 1/3 Major League innings with the Marlins, Cubs, Nationals and A’s over six seasons in the Show, though his high-90’s fastball has helped him record 151 strikeouts. This is the second time Rodriguez has been released this season, as the Marlins already cut ties with him in June.
Edward Creech and Charlie Wilmoth contributed to this post.
The Blue Jays announced that they have designated right-hander Bobby Korecky for assignment. The move clears roster space for first baseman Dan Johnson, whose contract will be purchased from Triple-A in the wake of Adam Lind‘s injury.
The 34-year-old Korecky yielded three runs in 3 1/3 innings for the Blue Jays this season, striking out two and walking one. A seasoned veteran of the minor leagues, Korecky has seen brief time in the Majors with the Twins, D’Backs and Jays, pitching to a 7.39 ERA in 28 innings. He’s been excellent throughout his career at Triple-A, however, notching a 3.04 ERA with 6.8 K/9 and 2.6 BB/9 in 444 innings.
Johnson, also 34, is a lifetime .236/.337/.411 hitter in 1556 big league plate appearances, but he was enjoying a solid season at Triple-A Buffalo. The former seventh-round pick was hitting .248/.402/.471 with 17 homers in 403 trips to the plate. Johnson is perhaps best known for a pair of dramatic home runs with the Rays in 2008 and in 2011 — the first a game-tying shot in a game that ultimately gave Tampa the division lead, and the second a two-out, two-strike game-tying shot in the ninth inning of the season’s final game (Tampa would go on to beat the Yankees in extra innings and advance to the postseason).
Here are Sunday’s minor moves from around MLB:
- Pitcher Bobby Korecky has cleared optional waivers and remains on the Blue Jays‘ 40-man roster, Brendan Kennedy of the Toronto Star tweets. The Blue Jays designated Korecky for assignment on Friday. He is headed to Triple-A Buffalo. Korecky appeared in just one game for Toronto this year and has spent most of the year with Buffalo, posting an 0.29 ERA with 9.3 K/9 and 2.3 BB/9 in 31 innings there.
- Outfielder Andy Simunic has been released from the Astros‘ Triple-A affiliate, per the Pacific Coast League’s transaction page. The 28-year-old, Houston’s 17th-round selection in 2008, batted .263/.333/.347 in 106 plate appearances (30 games) for Oklahoma City. Simunic, who tore the ligament in his right elbow pitching in a blowout loss last year (his recovery was chronicled recently by Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle), slashed .276/.358/.340 during his seven-year minor league career, all spent in the Astros’ organization.
- Right-hander Chad Reineke has been released from the Reds‘ Triple-A affiliate, per the International League transactions page. The 32-year-old made 11 appearances (four starts) for Louisville compiling a 9.20 ERA, 5.6 K/9, and 4.2 BB/9 in 30 1/3 innings of work. Reineke last pitched in a MLB game in 2011 for Cincinnati.
- The Padres have announced they have signed first baseman Cody Overbeck to a minor league deal. Overbeck, a 2009 ninth-round selection of the Phillies, was playing for the Bridgeport Bluefish of the independent Atlantic League where he posted a slash of .276/.326/.528 in 132 plate appearances through 32 games.
- Per MLBTR’s DFA Tracker, there are four players in DFA limbo: Vin Mazzaro (Pirates), Blake Wood (Indians), Jeremy Horst (Phillies) and Wade LeBlanc (Angels).
Charlie Wilmoth contributed to this post.
The Blue Jays have designated righty Bobby Korecky for assignment, MLB.com’s Gregor Chisholm reports on Twitter. His roster spot will go to top prospect Marcus Stroman, who is expected to start tomorrow for Toronto.
Korecky was called up to the big league club today and threw a clean inning and a third in mop-up duty. The 34-year-old righty saw his most extensive MLB action in 2008 with the Twins, when he tossed 17 2/3 innings of 4.58 ERA ball. He has only made six appearances since before today’s game.
Meanwhile, Stroman will take his second turn with the Jays this year. Regarded as one of the game’s best pitching prospects, the 23-year-old righty was promoted earlier this month to join the bullpen, but was only up for about two weeks. Now, he’ll have his first chance to take the ball to start a game in the bigs. According to John Lott of the National Post (via Twitter), manager John Gibbons did not address whether Stroman would step into a regular turn in the rotation.