- Out Of Options 2014
- 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2014 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- Non-Tender Candidates
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014
- Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- NL Notes: Hellweg, Cuddyer, Cubs, Espinosa
- Padres In Active Trade Talks Involving Nick Hundley
- Rangers Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment
- AL Notes: Amador, Lester, Gonzalez
- Astros Outright Lucas Harrell
- Padres Acquire Tyler Greene From Braves
- Tommy John Surgery Likely For Ivan Nova
- Orioles To Designate Steve Pearce For Assignment
- Blue Jays Claim Darin Mastroianni, Designate Kenny Wilson
- MLBTR Chat Transcript
- NL Central Links: Maldonado, Volquez, Walker, Cubs
- Free Agent Notes: Hanrahan, Carbonell, Penny, Braddock
- Yankees Outright Cesar Cabral
- Ryan Roberts Accepts Outright Assignment
- Ryan Rowland-Smith Elects Free Agency
MLBTR Mailing List
- How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB
- Scouting Masahiro Tanaka
- Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present
- Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals
- Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA
- Future Salary Obligations In Context
- Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings
- Why I Chose My Agency Series
- Arbitration Breakdown
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Carlos Carrasco Rumors
- The Angels have "hinted at a willingness to build a deal around pitching prospect Nick Adenhart." This would apparently involve Mark Teixeira or Matt Holliday.
- The Phillies made an initial offer last week for A.J. Burnett, and the Jays were thoroughly unimpressed. The Phillies won’t discuss prospects Carlos Carrasco, Lou Marson, or Greg Golson in trades.
- The Yankees have zero interest in Burnett.
- The A’s are willing to move Joe Blanton. He’s not perfect, but he can eat innings and is under team control through 2010.
- Six games out of the wild card with a league-best offense, the Rangers don’t look like sellers.
- At least ten teams watched Mets’ Double A starter Jon Niese pitch Saturday. He’s their top trade chip given the unavailability of Fernando Martinez.
- The Pirates have their eye on the Yankees’ Ross Ohlendorf, if the Yanks become buyers for players like Damaso Marte or Xavier Nady.
- Three Raul Ibanez suitors are named: the Diamondbacks, Dodgers, and Red Sox.
- At least nine teams are monitoring Freddy Garcia: the Yankees, Mets, Astros, Rangers, Royals, Red Sox, Phillies, Tigers, and White Sox. We’ve seen the Braves, Rays, and Cubs mentioned too. Garcia’s agent isn’t up for an ’09 option with his client. A-Rod is said to be pushing for the Yankees to sign him.
- Sherman notes a rumor around the game that has Pat Gillick becoming Mariners president next year, and Brian Cashman coming on as his GM.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: A.J. Burnett | Arizona Diamondbacks | Atlanta Braves | Boston Red Sox | Brian Cashman | Carlos Carrasco | Chicago White Sox | Colorado Rockies | Damaso Marte | Detroit Tigers | Freddy Garcia | Houston Astros | Joe Blanton | Jon Niese | Kansas City Royals | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Los Angeles Dodgers | Lou Marson | Mark Teixeira | Matt Holliday | New York Mets | New York Yankees | Nick Adenhart | Oakland Athletics | Philadelphia Phillies | Pittsburgh Pirates | Raul Ibanez | Ross Ohlendorf | Seattle Mariners | Texas Rangers | Toronto Blue Jays | Xavier Nady
FRIDAY: We have an update to Stark’s column – he is now saying that Burnett does have veto power over 15 teams.
THURSDAY: Let’s take a look at Jayson Stark’s latest over at ESPN.com.
- The Phillies and Yankees both made failed runs at CC Sabathia. The Phils wouldn’t include Carlos Carrasco or Lou Marson, while the Yanks insisted on a negotiating window. The Phils are looking at Erik Bedard and A.J. Burnett by default, while neither of those pitchers makes sense for the Yankees. The Yanks checked in on Aaron Harang, but that’s a moot point since he’s ailing.
- Despite the Dodgers’ run at Sabathia, they’re apparently not looking at other starters.
- Ken Rosenthal recently wrote that Burnett had veto power over 15 teams, but Stark’s source says it’s just a handful of teams. It’ll be tough to convince Burnett not to opt out of his contract after the season, unless he’s hurt.
- The Braves still haven’t made the buy/sell decision. If they buy, Xavier Nady is the top target. If they sell, Mark Teixeira is the best chip. Apparently Scott Boras is talking about $23MM per year for Tex this winter.
- The Giants are pretty clearly not trading Matt Cain.
- The Orioles, making a run at .500, don’t seem motivated to move George Sherrill or othe top veterans.
- The Brewers’ Plan B beyond Sabathia was Zack Greinke, rather than Rich Harden. Ken Rosenthal recently said the Royals were "decidedly uninterested in moving Greinke," however.
- Stark says it "wouldn’t be out of the question" for the Cubs to pursue a lefthanded starter like Randy Wolf, despite the Harden acquisition.
- Extension with the Phillies for Pat Burrell did not get very far.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: A.J. Burnett | Aaron Harang | Atlanta Braves | Baltimore Orioles | C.C. Sabathia | Carlos Carrasco | Cincinnati Reds | Cleveland Indians | Erik Bedard | George Sherrill | Kansas City Royals | Los Angeles Dodgers | Lou Marson | Mark Teixeira | Matt Cain | Milwaukee Brewers | New York Yankees | Pat Burrell | Philadelphia Phillies | Pittsburgh Pirates | Randy Wolf | Rich Harden | San Diego Padres | San Francisco Giants | Seattle Mariners | Toronto Blue Jays | Xavier Nady | Zack Greinke
- Yesterday I linked to Dave Cameron’s piece, in which he wondered whether Matt Kemp is overrated. Here’s the other side of the debate, a response from Mike Scioscia’s Tragic Illness.
- Joe Sports Fans names the seven worst trades of the decade. I have some arguments here; what do you think? I wrote this post on the Pierzynski/Nathan/Liriano/Bonser deal two years ago, but I still think it holds that Brian Sabean’s trade looked reasonable at the time.
- Joel Sherman wonders if the Mets and Yankees should consider trading for Washington outfielder Austin Kearns.
- Matt Gelb takes a look at Phillies prospect Carlos Carrasco, who does not want to be traded.
- The Yankees rightfully don’t view Freddy Garcia as much of an upgrade, since he won’t be ready until late August at the earliest.
- Tracy Ringolsby runs through various players on the trade market. Interestingly, he does not see A.J. Burnett being traded.
- Cardinals Diaspora suggests the Cards tangle with Billy Beane again, this time for Joe Blanton.
- Dave Dombrowski doesn’t see Ryan Perry in the Tigers’ bullpen this year, after all.
- Armchair GM challenges SI.com’s Jon Heyman to put his money where his mouth is.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: A.J. Burnett | Austin Kearns | Carlos Carrasco | Detroit Tigers | Freddy Garcia | Joe Blanton | Los Angeles Dodgers | Matt Kemp | New York Mets | New York Yankees | Oakland Athletics | Philadelphia Phillies | St. Louis Cardinals | Toronto Blue Jays | Washington Nationals
Some odds and ends before you fire up the grill…
- The Twins signed their other first round pick, Carlos Gutierrez.
- According to Jeff Passan, 15 year-old Venezuelan center fielder Yorman Rodriguez may have already agreed to a deal with the Reds.
- MLB.com’s Jim Molony notes that the Phillies’ director of Major League scouting watched a recent Red Sox-Astros game.
- Like Brian Bannister, Arizona’s Max Scherzer uses an understanding of BABIP to his advantage.
- Josh Hamilton sensed jealousy in the Reds’ clubhouse. Wayne Krivsky says it wasn’t a factor in the trade but that "there were issues in the clubhouse."
- Yahoo’s Tim Brown has an article on Kim Ng.
- Phillies’ pitching prospect Carlos Carrasco has "mild soreness" in his pitching shoulder.
- Jeff Francoeur has been sent to Double A to reboot his swing.
- I chatted with Eric DeLash over at his blog. I also answered some questions from The Blog Of Champions.
The latest on the C.C. Sabathia Sweepstakes…
- Indians GM Mark Shapiro said yesterday "it’s pretty obvious" that his team is in sell mode. There’s no new information on the team’s reported attempt to sign Sabathia to an extension before actively shopping him.
- The Phillies have scouted both Sabathia and Erik Bedard in recent weeks. The Mariners attempted to observe Phils prospect Carlos Carrasco last night, but he was scratched with shoulder stiffness. With Brett Myers in the minors, GM Pat Gillick is trying not to look desperate.
- Yesterday ESPN’s Buster Olney heard that the Rays and Red Sox "essentially have no interest in completing a trade for Sabathia, because of other concerns."
From his Full Count video update, Ken Rosenthal brings us a couple bullet points:
- In contention, the A’s suddenly could become a buyer. Rosenthal cites the big names: Matt Holliday, Jason Bay or even C.C. Sabathia, and that the A’s certainly have the prospects to pull it off.
- The Phillies could enter the mix for Sabathia as well; however, they’d have to give up top pitching prospect Carlos Carrasco. Carrasco is the top rated Phillies prospect for the second straight year by Baseball America.
By Nat Boyle
It’s Thursday, and you know what that means. Time for another installment of Jayson Stark’s Rumblings and Grumblings at ESPN.com.
- Stark runs through a laundry list of candidates for the Mariners’ and Mets’ manager and GM vacancies.
- The Indians will not be giving a negotiation window for a team hoping to sign C.C. Sabathia while acquiring him.
- Erik Bedard is "now officially on the market." Bedard’s value has diminished since the Mariners acquired him, however.
- The Phillies have already inquired on Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Bronson Arroyo, and Jarrod Washburn. Stark sees Bedard joining that group, but believes it’d require Carlos Carrasco and Antonio Bastardo.
- Ryan Freel is drawing strong interest; Stark names the Phillies, Braves, Mets, and Marlins as suitors.
- Ken Griffey Jr. apparently still wants to finish his career in Seattle.
- Stark agrees with Ken Rosenthal – Mark Teixeira is not available. Nor is Ben Sheets, by the way.
- The Marlins are looking for center field, catcher, and bullpen help. Stark believes they’d be willing to give up a near-arb Josh Willingham type for players with less service time.
- The Yankees seem open to bringing back Jason Giambi next year, after they buy out his option. Giambi is currently third in the AL in OPS at .979.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: A.J. Burnett | Antonio Bastardo | Atlanta Braves | Ben Sheets | Bronson Arroyo | C.C. Sabathia | Carlos Carrasco | Cincinnati Reds | Cleveland Indians | Erik Bedard | Jarrod Washburn | Jason Giambi | Josh Willingham | Ken Griffey Jr. | Mark Teixeira | Miami Marlins | Milwaukee Brewers | New York Mets | New York Yankees | Philadelphia Phillies | Ryan Freel | Seattle Mariners | Toronto Blue Jays
UPDATE, 12-5-07 at 10:52am: It’s "more unlikely than likely" that the Phils re-sign Iguchi.
FROM 12-5-07 at 8:53am:
Scott Lauber has a few Phillies notes for us this morning.
- Since the Phillies released him at the end of the season, a waiver will have to be obtained for Tadahito Iguchi to be allowed to re-sign with the Phillies and start the season normally. It can be done.
- Lauber says Pat Gillick indicated for the first time that he’d be willing to trade prospects for pitching. Lauber names Carlos Carrasco, Joe Savery, Josh Outman, and Adrian Cardenas as possibilities to go.